Dimmer switch replacement (led)

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Short ver.
I'm looking for recommendations (brand/supplier I'd like to be able to buy just one) to replace a dimmer (standard switch size, happens to be in a plastic b/box but an sleeved earth looks present (not tested)).
It controls 6-7 fairly modern led downlights (thinking they are 230v).

Long ver.
The switch has failed mechanically and is difficult to switch on (push button on/off), when on is fine and the dimmer works well) but this is a replacement already (from the original fit) so very reluctant to replace with the same.

Original markings:
BG
Telford England
Compatible with dimmable LED's and CFL's (sic)
DM400AP
60-400VA
2 WAY PUSH (but doesn't need to be a 2-way switch for this function - do they ever?)
It has an adjustable preset - I assume for the minimum reliable level.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Watch the minimum load - do your 6-7 downlights (why does the number vary, OOI?) total 60W? Not that that will have caused the mechanical failure, but you should make sure any replacement will have its requirements met. Would love to know how it dims fluorescents.

Long ver.
The switch has failed mechanically and is difficult to switch on (push button on/off),

Any thoughts?

With the power off remove the knob (probably just pull off). Apply fine oil (not WD40) to the spindle where it enters.

Winston's suggestion should be treated with concern. Oil is inflammable and switch contacts make sparks when operated.

Sponsored Links
1a. It is seven lamps (my folk's house not mine, I wasn't sure).
1b. Total 60W (or maybe 70W now); don't know. Small downlights in the ceiling where you can see the individual leds in an arc in each. I'd go with 5-10W each.
1c. CPLs - I'm just reporting what my photo shows, I thought writing it out was better/quicker.

20180719_212416.jpg

1d. When replacing, yes I'll be trimming that copper (no tools with me that visit).
2a. I do think it is physical and did try to release the front knob but it seemed stuck fast. In the light (sorry) of it being the second one to fail like this I think an alternative type is warranted. If we can't find something suitable I might indeed give some Electrolube CMO a go (yes, I still have some).
3a. Noted.

Any suggestions as to a supplier/brand to replace it with ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back