led dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I recently replaced a number of downlights 240v 50w with leds. My problem is, I did not know that the original lamps were on dimmer switches(sliding) and the leds began flashing after a short time. I replaced one of the leds for an original spot and this has stabilised the leds. I was wondering if I could replace the dimmer bank with a joint block and effectively bypass the dimmers. Can anyone please advise
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I replaced one of the leds for an original spot and this has stabilised the leds. I was wondering if I could replace the dimmer bank with a joint block and effectively bypass the dimmers. Can anyone please advise

It seems that you replaced one of the LEDs with an "original" halogen lamp and this corrected the problem.
If you wish to keep the "dimmable" function operative, you should replace the existing dimmer with one that is suitable for controlling "dimmable" LEDs.

(Or, you could keep in circuit a suitable incandescent lamp or a small resistor which will bleed the pesky capacitive discharge from your existing dimmer.

Your choice!)

Thanks for the advice FrodoOne, we do not use the dimmers, so I want to wire them out if possible.

Hi folks, I recently replaced a number of downlights 240v 50w with leds. My problem is, I did not know that the original lamps were on dimmer switches(sliding) and the leds began flashing after a short time. I replaced one of the leds for an original spot and this has stabilised the leds. I was wondering if I could replace the dimmer bank with a joint block and effectively bypass the dimmers. Can anyone please advise
Thanks

Yes.

Sponsored Links
thanks ban-all-sheds, I should explain I live in a small museum. The control box for the lighting is in the hall downstairs, the room upstairs has lighting key switches. So if you should want to dim the lights,
you have to do so downstairs, not very satisfactory and I have not used the dimmers in five years. So wiring them out seems a good solution to me. I hope that I can then save money by using all leds.

Post a photo of the wiring to the dimmer, some of us are helpful enough to give some helpful guidance.

Thanks ttc, here are the pics
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0332 (1).JPG
IMG_0332.JPG

Arghh not enough detail.
You need to disable one of the slide dimmers, yes?

Which of the dimmers are you talking about?
What cables connect to C, L1 and L2 on the specified dimmer?

thanks ban-all-sheds, I should explain I live in a small museum. The control box for the lighting is in the hall downstairs, the room upstairs has lighting key switches.
OK - not a possibility to be reasonably expected :mrgreen:

It should be pointed out that your legal liabilities to employees, visitors, wedding guests etc mean that you should not be doing this work yourself.

Hi TTC,
I would like to disable/bypass all of them but could start with one as a test to see if it will stabilise the leds.
Thanks
BD

Brian - this is not being picky or point-scoring:

It should be pointed out that your legal liabilities to employees, visitors, wedding guests etc mean that you should not be doing this work yourself.

There really are actual laws which you are breaking here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back