LED dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted a new dinning room light which has 4 x 8W, GX53 LED light units. It’s listed as suitable for dimmer operation but the lights will not reach maximum illumination (confirmed by wiring to a standard switch) & can flicker slightly when the dimmer is operated. I tried another dimmer switch removed from the same bungalow but got the same effect. The property was rewired & the switches fitted around 2013 I believe & all the original lights previously used standard filament bulbs.

Are these older dimmer switches suitable for operating modern LED’s or do I need a new switch, specifically for LED’s? I don’t want to buy a new dimmer switch only to have the same problem!

Sponsored Links
There are two types of electronic switches, those which use the neutral and those which allow a small current through the lamps, the latter are often limited to 5 watt or over lamps, the older types often 40 watt lower limit, going below the lower limit often causes the lamps to flash when switched off.

The shimmer when on is a reaction between than lamp and the switch, even in the days of tungsten the coiled coil of wire forming the element has been known to cause flicker, with LED often there is a large capacitor to stop this, G9-comp.jpgthe capacitor in the larger lamp was nearly as big as the smaller lamp, but both are G9 lamps. The problem is there is nothing on the lamp to say how much smoothing is used, I like the GX53 but have not got any fitted, but likely if one is tungsten the other three will work OK.

The older type dimmers are usually not compatible with dimmable LED lamps. Many of those legacy dimmers need a load of at least 40watts to work. Your lamp is less than that. There are other incompatibility issues too.

Short version:
Look for the Varilight Pro LED dimmers. Sold by many vendors. That’ll sort you out.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The first 7 GX53 adverts I looked at were non-dimmable, I stopped looking after 7, are you sure they are dimmable?

There are two main ways to dim the lamp, one is chopping the wave form reduces the average voltage and two chopping the wave form is read by the driver as a command to reduce current. As the user we often have no idea which method is used.

I did in the end find one dimmable unit by Megaman at nearly £20 each, non dimmable down to £1.50 and less. Found one from Ikea at £7 dimmable, but for that price with GU10 they are smart bulbs, no dimming switch required.

However have one GU10 marked both dimmable and non-dimmable on the same packaging, it is only dimmable using the app, not using a dimming switch.

The first 7 GX53 adverts I looked at were non-dimmable, I stopped looking after 7, are you sure they are dimmable?

There are two main ways to dim the lamp, one is chopping the wave form reduces the average voltage and two chopping the wave form is read by the driver as a command to reduce current. As the user we often have no idea which method is used.

I did in the end find one dimmable unit by Megaman at nearly £20 each, non dimmable down to £1.50 and less. Found one from Ikea at £7 dimmable, but for that price with GU10 they are smart bulbs, no dimming switch required.

However have one GU10 marked both dimmable and non-dimmable on the same packaging, it is only dimmable using the app, not using a dimming switch.
The light manufacturer info states " dimmable with a suitable wall switch" but without stating what a suitable wall switch is! The instructions are a bit "Pidgeon English" & I think the light originates from China! I notice Screwfix sell two Varilight Pro LED dimmers but reluctant to buy if they won't work!

Firstly, I suppose the fitting came with the 4 GX53 lamps already provided?
We’re they in separate boxes? Let’s see a photo of any logos on the boxes. And provide a link to the product description.

Re Varilight. I have found no problem with those dimmers
PROVIDING
the lamps and/or the fitting is dimmable.

Lamps were provided in separate boxes - see attachments.

Attachments

• 20220726_112448.jpg
    20220726_112448.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220726_112505.jpg
    20220726_112505.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 57
Not sure about Lindby origin now, they maybe German or European; the light was quiet expensive!

1658844623863.png This package shows
1658844701296.png
it also says
1658844749486.png
another bulb I have shows 1658843537816.pngbut it does dim with an app, but one does need to read the package carefully even with 1658843329464.pnglogo it does not always mean you can use wave form chopping dimmer switch.

The bulb shown does say in many places that it needs a zigbee controller, but there are many ways to dim a bulb. But I see nothing on the package you show to say it can be dimmed, I know the default should be if it can't dim needs the logo to say so, but can't see anything to say they have to be dimmed with a wave form chopping switch.

I know the default should be if it can't dim needs the logo to say so, but can't see anything to say they have to be dimmed with a wave form chopping switch.
The actual light fitting sheet info shows a L/N connection & simply states "supplied bulb dimmable via wall switch" but fails to inform which type of wall switch is required! Agree, if a label shows a lamp is dimmable it should be easily achievable IMO but what do I know. I appreciate not all LED's are dimmable but never imagined there could be different types of LED dimmer switch needed or that it could be complicated, I just thought it would just be a case of buying a more modern dimmer switch & that would work! May be easier if I just resort to replacing the dimmer with a simple on/off switch!

Last edited:
A while since I posted but, on recommendation, I bought a Varilight V-PRO dimmer switch. Unfortunately, all it did in default (trailing edge) mode 1 was stay on maximum brightness. I've tried several times to set the thing up in a different mode but without success & even my "qualified spark" son-in-law couldn't manage it; to be fair, he only works on commercial installations. With the help of a rather tech savvy granddaughter, we finally managed to work through the rather tedious set up process, change the operating mode & get the dimmer to work, sort of! The light now works OK on maximum setting but flickers as soon as you try to dim it. I'm not sure which mode it's now working in but it can only be mode 2, leading edge or the alternative trailing edge mode 3. Considering I couldn't manage to get any sense out of it the first time, I'm rather reluctant to reset the switch (mode 1) & try again but can anyone advise if the flickering can be rectified in either Mode 2 or 3 or does this mean I've bought the wrong switch? Beginning to wish I'd never bothered with the dimmer now!

Factory reset and start again...never had a problem with the v pro

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back