led dimmers

To bypass the dimmer, move the wire in L1 (or L2) to be in the same terminal as the one marked COM.

I suggest you try it on one and see if it does what you want, before re-doing the lot.

PS Wear a balaclava so the dimmer police cannot recognise you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ban-All-Sheds.
point taken will not go further
bd

PS Wear a balaclava so the dimmer police cannot recognise you.
You shouldn't trivialise the issue.

If the internet search for a place with both an "Inventions Room" and a "Lunar Room" worked properly:

It is a place of work for paid employees and volunteers.

It is open to members of the public as museum visitors.

It runs events for parties of schoolchildren.

It is a licensed venue for weddings and civil ceremonies.

It hires out rooms etc for private parties and business functions.

It has insurance (presumably) concomitant with being a Grade I listed building.

However well intentioned, and however in-practice-but-not-formally "competent" a person is it really is not somewhere where someone not "formally competent" should be doing electrical work.

Thanks Ban-All-Sheds,
I had intended to get any work done checked by an approved electrician, but will not proceed further until I have spoken to him.
Hope you will pay a visit if you are up this way in future.
regards
BD

Sponsored Links
They appear to be Home automation dimmers with Grid adapters on.
Your best option as Ban says is to get an electrician in.
The assemblies with the dimmers in look like Crabtree, so if he gets Crabtree 1 or 2 way Gridswitches he can swop them over and they will still function as on/off switches.
Should not cost much, but he should have Public liability insurance, etc

Last edited:
Thanks 333rocky333,
As I said I will speak to my electrician friend next week at work. (They are crabtree fittings)
regards
bd

It seems that you replaced one of the LEDs with an "original" halogen lamp and this corrected the problem.
If you wish to keep the "dimmable" function operative, you should replace the existing dimmer with one that is suitable for controlling "dimmable" LEDs.

(Or, you could keep in circuit a suitable incandescent lamp or a small resistor which will bleed the pesky capacitive discharge from your existing dimmer.

Your choice!)

We have similar problem. Led down lighters on a 250w dimmer, that doesn’t specify for led. Result is occasional flicker when on less than 100%.
I was thinking to replace it with suitable dimmer, but adding a resistor in the circuit seems like a neat solution. Any advice on where to place resistor and value for resistor?

For the dimmer to work properly you need to increase the load, you could use something like THIS

But the point of LEDs is to reduce the load, not increase it! You’d be better buying an LED compatible dimmer like a V-Pro

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back