dimmer switch with Halogen light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an IKEA light fitting, with 8 Halogen G4 12V 10W bulbs in.
It originally had a dimmer switch that seemed to work fine, however we had all our lighting rewired and I bought a new 400w max dimmer and fitted that. It seemed to work, but turning it up and down caused a lot of flickering and then I was turning the switch and the light fitting popped and now it doesnt work at all.
I put the old non-dimmer switch back on and it still doesnt work.
What do you think I have done, blown the transformer in the light fitting?
If so, can this part be replaced?
I've searched on the internet and am still not sure if I can have a dimmer with these type of bulbs?
The electrician who rewired the lighting is now on holiday so I cant contact him.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
agh100 said:
What do you think I have done, blown the transformer in the light fitting?
If so, can this part be replaced?

Yes, and yes. The old transformer probably wasn't designed to be connected to a dimmer, make sure that whatever replacement you get hold of can be dimmed.

So is it possible to buy a generic transformer that will fit in my light fitting and work with a dimmer etc?
Ie - without having to replace the whole light fitting or buy exact same spare transformer from IKEA?

Cheers

If the fitting came from IKEA then I'd hazard a guess it wasn't too expensive, and buying a new fitting would be the easiest option. I don't doubt a replacement part is available, but the transformers in these fittings are usually very small - you need to take the fitting down and find out the physical size and wattage of the existing part before you can start to look for a replacement.

Sponsored Links
Trouble is if you get an identical replacement fitting or transformer from Ikea, you ar back in the same boat.... A transformer not suitable for dimming.
TLC or Screwfix, among others should be able to supply generic dimmable transformers.

The dimmer needs to be suitable for use with a transformer, and the transformer suitable for use with a dimmer.

hmm ok thanks
not sure I would have a clue what transformer to buy from screwfix, or how to wire it!
I think my choices are going to be replace the light and not have a dimmer or buy a new light fitting that does not use low voltage bulbs as I think I'm right in saying there shouldnt be a problem dimming these as no transformer?

A lot of light fittings still come with wire-wound transformers, which are not suitable for dimming. These are big and bulky and do usually form part of the structure of the fitting. So finding a suitable small electronic transformer can sometimes be difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back