dimmer switch with halogen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
will a halogen flood light work with a dimmer switch? :rolleyes: (and before you ask i have a good reason for doing it) ;)

Sponsored Links
A non-electrician's guess:
It depends on whether your halogen light has a built in PIR with electronic switching,

Most important thing is that the load rating of the dimmer switch is at least equal to the lamp's power rating

Dimmer switches work by delaying the voltage applied to the lamp on every half cycle - so instead of seeing a nice sinusoidal voltage, the lamp is subjected to a steep rising edge followed by a sinusoidal completion of the half cycle. It's unlikely that the PIR control circuitry could work properly when fed from such a supply.

Are you going to say why you want to buy a very bright lamp then fit a dimmer switch to it?
Have you considered using a low energy lamp?

cheers joe,the lamp hasn't got a pir,i actually want to use the flood light to heat a large lizard cage,it will be connected to a 'dimming thermostat',
what i wanted to know is will a halogen flood bulb dim and work properly?
or do they work differently to a normal incandesant bulb? :?:

smokeyJoe said:
Most important thing is that the load rating of the dimmer switch is at least equal to the lamp's power rating

Isn't the norm to double the rating if dimming halogens. i.e if you have 200W of halogen to dim, you will need a dimmer rated at 400W

Sponsored Links
shat1 said:
cheers joe,the lamp hasn't got a pir,i actually want to use the flood light to heat a large lizard cage,it will be connected to a 'dimming thermostat',
what i wanted to know is will a halogen flood bulb dim and work properly?
or do they work differently to a normal incandesant bulb? :?:
they do work different, they rely on heat to carry on the halogen cycle in the bulb - without the heat (ie. dimmed) the halogen cycle is less efficient and tungsten gets deposited on the glass, blackening the bulb and reducing its life. People still do it though, sometimes undimmed halogens are too harsh.

I've not heared about this derating dimmer switches for halogen, I know that some dimmer switches don't switch efficiently when they're underloaded - symptom is that you can't turn the brightness down very far without the light going off.
Crafty - that's interesting about the halogen cycle, I have a new respect for lamp designers.
I think we can conclude from all this that the glass tube will gradually go black, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for the lizard as black surfaces emit heat more efficiently. As the bulb's going to be dimmed, it's likely to take longer for the tungsten electrons to boil off the filament so its lifetime will be shorter than it could be, but it might still be an acceptable lifetime. You'd have to try it & see.
A better option for you might be to connect a number of (say 3 or 4) 1kW electric fire heating elements in series. This would give a similar heating effect without the lifetime issue (and without the light).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back