Dimmer switch works to turn on/off but no dimming

Have you tried with the 3rd dimmer yet?
Just tried it and 3x 42w halogen and 3x 7w LED lamps all dim perfectly.

So the simplest answer was correct: faulty dimmer module. I just assumed I'd cocked-up the wiring circuit, although I couldn't identify a fault. Not all is to waste though, as much has been learnt and I will apply the advice given and update the thread when it's all done.

Sponsored Links
All done.
conservatory_dimmer_wiring_4.png

conservatory_dimmer_wiring_5.png

Stud modified to accommodate a new back box and a (knock-off) 8-way connector fitted to sort out those neutrals. T&E stripped-back a little further to tidy up the earths and their sleeving. The flex is shown in the photos but has since been disconnected and the insulated end tucked down in the partition.

The knock-off 8-way connector seems to be as robust as the genuine article. Conductors are securely clamped in position. I doubt that the plastics are as high quality, but since the load on these conductors is very low, I have no concerns about heat damage.

Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:
Tidy job there, looks much better.
I bet it was fun getting all those earths in to one screw terminal. At least you don't have to contend with the flex now though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Yes, six earths in one screw terminal is not great. I considered connecting them together with a 6-way Wago block with one earth to the earthing point but decided against it. All earth conductors passed the "tug test" FWIW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back