Dimmer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of finishing my extension and need some advice of the wiring of a double dimmer switch. I've got a twin and earth feed coming in from a fused spur, to wire the internal and external lights - see digram, can you tell me what where the neutral and live coming in should go in relation to the C, L1 and L2?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well you don't switch the neutrals on lights, so the 3 neutrals are joined together and push back into the back box.

The earths are all joined together. There is a terminal in the metal back box for this. If the front is metal this should be earthed too.

The incomming live goes to COM (common) and a link wire across to the other COM for the other switch.

The live out for one light is connected to L1

The live out for the other light is connected to L1

P.S - I hope you have suitable lights to be dimmed outside

Andy,

Thanks, great help - and yep with missus went with an old school type external light, which takes a standard bulb.

Ta

Hi,

I'm in the process of finishing my extension and need some advice of the wiring of a double dimmer switch. I've got a twin and earth feed coming in from a fused spur, to wire the internal and external lights - see digram, can you tell me what where the neutral and live coming in should go in relation to the C, L1 and L2?

Thanks

Such a basic question! If your knowledge is so lacking you ought to be employing an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, i was sure that was how the wiring should be, just wanted to check switch and lights before my electriacn connected it all up.

Again under floor heating is electric and all signed off.

Feels a bit like i'm being checked up on here

Firstly, i was sure that was how the wiring should be, just wanted to check switch and lights before my electriacn connected it all up.
But you were asking about connecting it up yourself.

Feels a bit like i'm being checked up on here
We've had at least one person on this site with a tale of woe about not being able to get a completion certificate from his LABC because he'd said he'd use an electrician and then DIYed the electrics.

Maybe I was clear enough, just testing all the switches etc before part p sign off out of curiosity.

All will be signed off correctly - it was more than my old posts were quoted that made me feel uneasy about being checked up on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back