Dimmers not working - leading, trailing, TRIAC - very confused!

But, I'll stick with my traditional incandescents
So will I, dimmed incandescents give soft light, dimmed LEDs do not.

until LED technology is standardised / proved reliable / proved safe / cheap enough!
ignoring the stull made in factories without effective quality control,

LED technology in the LED element is reliable and safe and dropping in price,
the technology used to provide the controlled current through the element(s) is the weak point and will remain so until some form of standardisation in terminology is created and the industry conforms to it.

Sponsored Links
Use RGBW lamps, then you can have whatever colour you want.

Maybe but under volting a filament lamp gives a very satisifying glow which I have yet to see from any LED light source,

LED light lacks the infrared spectrum which while not "visible" does affect the eye and the brain's perception of the light

Maybe but under volting a filament lamp gives a very satisifying glow which I have yet to see from any LED light source,
Maybe, but it's a very inefficient (aka 'expensive to run', for a given light output) approach, since the lumens/Watt drops dramatically if one significantly 'under volts' a filament lamp/bulb. The 'lumens/Watt' (i.e. lumens per £ over a given time period) is bad enough at design voltage, but it gets much worse if one reduces the (average) voltage.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
And the so called "wasted" heat is not lost. it reduces any heating bills

Electrical heating is much more expensive than say gas, so that is still a waste.

In summer of course the "wasted" heat increases the air con bills.

This link was sent to me earlier: ...
Thanks. That link appears to be to "professional-electrician.com", but I was interested to read, amongst other 'interesting' things ... "A small copper coil built into a TRIAC dimmer vibrates at different frequencies to disrupt the power reaching the lamp, controlling the light output.". Interesting concepts and 'professional' language!

Kind Regards, John

An occasional contribution. They have a feature "Caught on Camera" that reminds me of the old Photo of the month on here, featuring various botched jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back