Dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some dimmers to look at. And source new trailing edge ones suitable for LED's. The thing being is they're for 2 chandeliers which have a LOT of lamps on. And as a rule of thumb using 1/10 of the wattage. I can't find anything capable of taking the load of about 30 lamps.

Currently the light is on a dimmer, but they're not trailing edge so won't work with led's. To be honest, I don't know how the current ones aren't burnt out as even if it's a 400w with candle lamps it'd be overloaded.

The other thing being, there's 2 dimmers. One at each end of the hall.

Anyone know of anything out there?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Err. I am confused

So 30 LEDs? is that right. How many watts per LED,
\What is the rating of the LED driver(s).
Are they Dimmer-able?

Are those 2 dimmers dimming the same lamps?

I've got some dimmers to look at. And source new trailing edge ones suitable for LED's. The thing being is they're for 2 chandeliers which have a LOT of lamps on. And as a rule of thumb using 1/10 of the wattage. I can't find anything capable of taking the load of about 30 lamps.
I'm also a bit confused - if there are to be 30 LED lamps, I would imagine they would be no more than about 3W each - and that's less than 100W total.

Kind Regards, John

S'ok. Confused me too.

I believe what's on there currently is something like the varilight master and slave dimmers. But yes, on the same lamps. They're not bothered about converting it to conventional dimmer one end and a 2way switch the other.

They haven't purchased the led's yet. Cause I told them I'd look into switching before lamps.

They'll be roughly 30 retro fit candle type lamps.

Varilight recommend about 100watts of led load on their v-pro dimmers. So 30x 3watt if this is the case.

Sponsored Links
The reason I questioned is 400watt dimmer using the suggested rule of thumb would only allow 40watts of LEDs. :)

The reason I questioned is 400watt dimmer using the suggested rule of thumb would only allow 40watts of LEDs. :)
OK ... but that 'rule of thumb' obviously implies 10W per LED - probably equivalent to something like a 60W incandescent lamp. Thirty of those would amount to 1800W of (incandescent) lighting - probably enough to heat a small room, or to illuminate a football stadium!

I suppose I should ask (since it could negate a little of what I've just written!), are these chandeliers perhaps very high up in some massive room?

Kind Regards, John

After looking more at the varilight ones, it suggests 20x 5watt. Which would mean 30x 3 watt should be ok.
Indeed. That's obvioulsy assuming that 30 x 3W provide enough light (given their height and the size of the room), but I couldn't tell you that!
And yes. They probably do kick off a load of heat.
Yes, incandescent ones would, but the LED equivalent would produce relatively little heat.
But they are kinda high. 10-15 ft up I'd guess.
Ah - I see! In that case, as above, you probably do need to get advice as to whether 30 x 3W LEDs will produce enough light - we're not used to seeing that sort of setup in a DIY forum :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back