dimmers

Whatever you use, Adam, make sure it is insulated, you don't want a shock disposing of it.

Hmm. Disposing of it.....maybe you could take it back to the CEGB and get a refund, you know - X pence per kW......that is if it hasn't jumped out by the time you get there.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Whatever you use, Adam, make sure it is insulated, you don't want a shock disposing of it.

Hmm. Disposing of it.....maybe you could take it back to the CEGB and get a refund, you know - X pence per kW......that is if it hasn't jumped out by the time you get there.

how about using an ELCB

Extra Large Collection Box, shouldn't escape out of that 'cos its extra large

plugwash said:
resistive dimmers produce a huge amount of heat and so would be massive
Good point, the old rheostats at school always got quite toasty.

phase cutters use a triac and only turn on the light for part of the cycle theese are small and not hugely expensive but the harmonics they produce can cause a problem either as noise (big stage dimmer packs buzz like hell) or as EMI/RFI

Thinking about it, that would make sense, and would explain why energy saving bulbs flicker when you try to use them with a dimmer intended for incandescent bulbs.

But I had wondered about the harmonics and interference, what I would imagine to be "phase cutting" would produce high-frequency components.

I've learned something today!

AdamW said:
But I had wondered about the harmonics and interference, what I would imagine to be "phase cutting" would produce high-frequency components.
Ever tried putting an AM radio next to a dimmer switch?

Guess what....

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
plugwash said:
resistive dimmers produce a huge amount of heat and so would be massive
Good point, the old rheostats at school always got quite toasty.

phase cutters use a triac and only turn on the light for part of the cycle theese are small and not hugely expensive but the harmonics they produce can cause a problem either as noise (big stage dimmer packs buzz like hell) or as EMI/RFI

Thinking about it, that would make sense, and would explain why energy saving bulbs flicker when you try to use them with a dimmer intended for incandescent bulbs.

I've learned something today!
Because they were in series with the load, a Variac is more suitable.

AdamW said:
Adam_151 said:
A dimmer switch works by chopping bits out of the AC waveform, it expects an un broken wave form to start with,

Isn't a dimmer was just a variable resistor? I.e. it varies the amplitude of the AC waveform rather than "chopping bits out of the waveform".

Is the waveform chopper a special dimmer, for something else? :confused:
A phase angle Dimmer does alter the AC waveform by triggering( or gating) the output triac at a certain point in the cycle(which the user has defined by rotating the knob/pot) and it is this voltage that is seen at the output, therefore it is a "chopped" Waveform.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back