Dimmible LED bulbs blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking to see if anyone has any ideas as to why three out of eight LED bulbs might have blown over the last 4ish weeks having only been installed in May of this year. I am a complete layman with these things so apologies in advance if things are not as clear as they should be.

The bulbs are fitted into our lounge with the set up consisting of 4 x wall lights - two bulbs fitted into each and 1 central pendant light with a 42w bayonet type fitting.

The lights are controlled from 1 x 3 gang dimmer switch - 1 for the central pendant light and the other two controls each controlling a two wall lights with two bulbs in each so four in total.

The bulbs are Aurora AU-DGU1040W (4watts) and the dimmer switch is a volex brushed stainless steel version. The dimmer modules are Crabtree 2 way (originally the lights were going to be 2 way but we knocked the idea on the head) DV21911. On the back of the modules have a Min load of 40W and a max of 250W.

Is there any stand out reason for the bulb issue or could it be as simple as a dodgy batch. The electrical wholesalers the sparks uses had no issue replacing the first two but now a third has gone I am starting to wonder.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sponsored Links
If I understand your description, you do not have enough load on the dimmer. They need at least 40watts of load to work properly so there may be an incompatability issue.

You may need a Lo-watt dimmer desigend to work with LED lamps
something like these.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...es~Dimmers_All/LEDlite_LED_Dimmers/index.html

BTW. Did you try any of the "faulty" lamps with a standard switch, rather than a dimmer?

Hi many thanks for the response.

I did wonder if this might be the case however would a case of under powering lead to the bulbs actually packing up? Interestingly before they all died the light they omit drops off to that of a candle prior to them totally packing in.

The electrician that carried out the work never mentioned the under powering bit when he did the install although I do know he changed the dimmer modules in the kitchen area for Aurora ones but for some reason the ones in the lounge were left alone.

The 1st bulb I returned was definitely checked by the electrical wholesaler in a light strip they have on the counter (I guess for such reasons) not sure on the second though and the thirds only just gone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back