dimming lights and overheating junction box

Eh, what I describe is how it looks to me.
Fair enough, but I think that puts you (without any prompting) in a minoritry, despite the fact that the rest of us probably looked at least three times - since what we appeared to be seeing certainly did not correspond with what we would expect.
more curious about the heat sleeving than anything else. Weird.
Yes, assuming that's what it is (and it certainly looks like it), that's very odd - but I presume we'll never know the 'explanation'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, but I think that puts you (without any prompting) in a minoritry, despite the fact that the rest of us probably looked at least three times - since what we appeared to be seeing certainly did not correspond with what we would expect

It's just one of those things I guess. I couldn't tell you where T+E #4 comes into the box though

Yes, assuming that's what it is (and it certainly looks like it), that's very odd - but I presume we'll never know the 'explanation'!
Easy. The guy was clearly a numpty.

So... just redid the connections using ideal push connectors.... lights still very dim...

So... to clear up the cpc mystery the neutral is going to the netural connector block not the cpc block,

But the light is still sort of an issue... so I took the lamp out of the hall way and swapped with bathroom light.... both are old style filament bayonet lamps. The hall lamp in the bathroom is brighter but still has some flickering (not off but just bright/dim/bright). The bathroom lamp in the hall is just plain dim.... no markings on the bathroom lamp.. at all...

So put an cf energy saving lamp into bathroom. Lights up fairly bright... in the toilet the light is still dim, but now if the toilet light is on, and I turn on the bathroom light it again gets dimmer almost to candle light level then back up a bit .

Measured the voltage at the connector, radial circuit to neutral is showing 240... switched return to neutral is showing the same.

And a new discovery... if I turn the toilet and or bathroom light on with the hall way light off, both are dim... turn the hall way on, all are instantly bright! But then not repeatable if I turn all off and try again...
And if hall way is on and I turn on a bedroom, hall way dims...

Sponsored Links
Somewhere along the line an idiot has been fiddling with it, and has mixed up permanent and switched live and/or got lights in series.

Basically you now have to follow Plan A or Plan B

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing. Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.There is no Plan C.

Cheers ban. I have an understand of circuits. I did a c&g about 10 years ago in electronic installation, however no practical site experience as such. So guess it's time to start looking at all of the light fittings and see what's where... also shouldn't be related but some of the fuses in a second cu are out... I'm hoping that someone hasn't crossed wiring somewhere but not unheard of.... need to find some replacement rewireables or mcbs to replace

Sounds like something has gone very awry. If you can, identify the first point and work from there. Testing and checking each point/switch.

So i just had an eyeball of all of the light fittings on the upstairs circuit and found this in one room:
20150826_194814-jpg.84194

remade the pendent on the end so that the circuit goes directly into pendent:

20150826_202323-jpg.84195

put the lamp back in and turned mains back on, nothing. The lamp doesnt light. - strange as i measured the voltage across L/N, L/E and N/E before putting the cover back on.

Tried the hall light to make sure the circuit is energized, light is dim, same with toilet one.

Swapped the lamp from boxroom (old style filament) with the one in the back room- the one not working(energy saving cfl), and light comes on as normal in the back room, nothing in the box room.
Checked the hall, and bathroom, all are bright...

Not sure for definite if all is fixed, going to leave the filament lamp in for a few days, then swap it for another energy saving and see what effects are...

Meanwhile i know there are some issues with the wiring in this house... looking for someone to rewire and willing to use me a labour

Attachments

• 20150826_194814.jpg
    20150826_194814.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 192
  • 20150826_202323.jpg
    20150826_202323.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 220

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back