Lights going dim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since moving into my house just under a year ago i have noticed that the light sometimes go dim. I know the bathroom one goes dim when the shower is switched on and goes back to normal when the shower is switched off again. I think it happens when other appliances are switched on in the house.

Why does this happen?
Can it be fixed?
Is it a problem?

The wiring in the house is ring circuits for up lighting, Down lighting, up sockets and down sockets. The other things like shower,cooker boiler etc are on radials.

Sponsored Links
If you are on a 'stiff' supply then the problem could possibly only be caused by a bad connection on your incoming L or N.
If you are rural or towards the end of a supply cable then any larger current drawing loads will cause the voltage to drop more significantly due to supply impedance.

Sponsored Links
It means low impedance - but maybe that doesn't help much. :confused: :confused: :confused: Think of a stiff wall bracket. It doesn't sag much when you put your weight on it. A 'stiff' supply is one whose voltage doesn't drop much when you draw current.

Filament lamps are very good at showing slight voltage drops so the chances are you have nothing to worry about but you can do some simple tests. Listen carefully to your meter and CU when the shower is on. You're listening for a faint sizzling noise that indicates a bad connection. While you're at it check for any signs of burning, like discoloured insulation. Use your nose too. :) :) :)

The average rich man at £4.79 per stiffy....

Why would anybody buy from them if they had an NHS prescription? How many do you get per prescription, Col? Anything more than 1 works out cheaper per pill....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back