lights dimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I returned home from a week's holiday last night and started plugging back in various electrical appliances.

The standard lamp in the lounge turned on as normal but when I turned the switch on the socket for the computer a large spark shot out.
After i changed my trousers... I turned on the TV and the skybox - the standard lamp light dimmed momentarily each time.
They're all on the same ringmain.
Nothing tripped in the consumer unit and everything is working ok. Even the computer connected to the arcing socket switched on ok. The lights haven't dimmed again since.
Having done a search on here I now realise that old or cheap switches can cause arcing and it was dark (and also very cold in the house as we'd left the heating off)

But should I be concerned about the lamp dimming when other appliances powered up?
Appreciate any constructive advice or reassurance
thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
But should I be concerned about the lamp dimming when other appliances powered up?
Normally no, any large loads will cause a small drop in voltage, which will be apparent as lights being slightly dimmer. Typically experienced with switching on a cooker, kettle or electric shower.

However if the light is being affected by switching on low powered items like a television, there is a serious problem.

There can be quite an inrush current on a TV, especially on some of the big flat screens, with their large step down transformers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back