Dimplex optimyst lamps/bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My partner has a dimplex optimyst fire which has 4 x 50w halogen lamps. I have read on this site that a couple of members contacted Dimplex to ask if they can be replaced by LEDs . The answer was that the 200 Watts is needed to make the mist rise.
However my later Dimplex optimyst has 5 x 1w LEDs and works fine.
I'm sure the technology is the same ( transducers are identical )
Any thoughts please

Sponsored Links
Heat rises. 200 Watts of wasted energy to make some water vapour rise up a chimney! People have certainly fitted lower wattage halogen lamps 35W for example from reading I did when we 'inherited' such a fire with our house purchase (I don't use it, having fixed some burnt out wiring internally).

NB Optimyst fires are typically 12V ac lamps. LEDs will need be the same (AC rated rather than DC) ... but may be presented with rather more than 12V ac as the transformer is under significantly lower load than designed for. A multimeter can check that with all lamps removed. Too high a voltage could shorten lamp life, potentially.

Thanks for that rodders53, I might just remove 2 lamps and see how it goes.
As regards my later fire with 5 x 1w LEDs, I delved a little deeper, literally, and found a small heating element down there adjacent to LED lamps.
I have emailed Dimplex asking what the wattage of this is.

I am running 2x halogen 35W (heat producing) and 2x LED bulbs (obviously producing no heat). Takes perhaps 20-30 mins longer for the full smoke effect that I used to have but works fine. Also lower wattage bulbs will help out with brittleness occurring on the lamp holders.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a good compromise, might try that thanks

Hi all,
My partner has a dimplex optimyst fire which has 4 x 50w halogen lamps. I have read on this site that a couple of members contacted Dimplex to ask if they can be replaced by LEDs . The answer was that the 200 Watts is needed to make the mist rise.
However my later Dimplex optimyst has 5 x 1w LEDs and works fine.
I'm sure the technology is the same ( transducers are identical )
Any thoughts please
As a side issue,if your fire stops misting and you suspect the transducer before buying one stick it in a kettle descaler for half an hour, worked a treat for ours.

Thanks, will remember that
As a side issue,if your fire stops misting and you suspect the transducer before buying one stick it in a kettle descaler for half an hour, worked a treat for ours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back