Changing 12v halogen to 12v LED Lamps

Solution? Change all the 10-60w drivers to 0-50w. But I am going to make a mess of the ceiling dragging all the down-lighters out to get at the drivers. (Surely there is a better way of fitting these into a ceiling than those dirty great butterfly springs?) So it will get done when the kitchen is next decorated.
Maybe deciding to light a room with 10 torches recessed into the ceiling wasn't a good idea.

At the next decoration time I suggest you seize the opportunity to put in some lights actually designed to light up rooms.

Sponsored Links
I have put the halogens back for the time being. I have concluded that I am under loading the drivers (aka transformers/switch mode power supplies etc) and 9/10 have enough tolerance to accept it. 1/10 doesn't and that is causing problems.

Solution? Change all the 10-60w drivers to 0-50w. But I am going to make a mess of the ceiling dragging all the down-lighters out to get at the drivers. (Surely there is a better way of fitting these into a ceiling than those dirty great butterfly springs?) So it will get done when the kitchen is next decorated.

So thanks to all for help and I'll leave you to your discussion about when a transformer is not a transformer.

You should be able to remove the downlights without any damage unless the ceiling was painted after the lights were fitted. If they're open downlighters, you can take the lamp out and release the spring from the other side.

If they're open downlighters, you can take the lamp out and release the spring from the other side.

Can you enlarge on that? By open down lighters, do you mean where the bulb and carrier is removable? It still leaves only a 50mm dia hole and I cannot see how the spring arms can be lifted from within that. The only option appears to be to pull out the whole unit against the spring pressure. Once the bottoms of the springs are exposed, the arms can be gripped to keep them compressed and minimise the damage to the edge of the hole. May be my down lighters are too tight a fit in the ceiling hole?

Can you enlarge on that? By open down lighters, do you mean where the bulb and carrier is removable? It still leaves only a 50mm dia hole and I cannot see how the spring arms can be lifted from within that. The only option appears to be to pull out the whole unit against the spring pressure. Once the bottoms of the springs are exposed, the arms can be gripped to keep them compressed and minimise the damage to the edge of the hole. May be my down lighters are too tight a fit in the ceiling hole?

I'm referring to the type whereby if you remove the lamp you can see the void above the ceiling. The alternative is the enclosed type (often Fire Rated) which look like a metal can.

megaman-749245-main.jpg

Sponsored Links
I understand. I don't have that type unfortunately. Definitely the metal can, although not fire rated. The springs are mouse-trap specification and will take your fingers off if not careful and plasterboard edges are a breeze.

Many thanks for your time.

Solution? Change all the 10-60w drivers to 0-50w.
Far better to dispose of the drivers, fit GU10 holders and mains voltage LEDs instead.

But I am going to make a mess of the ceiling dragging all the down-lighters out to get at the drivers.
No reason for that, with a moderate amount of care they can be removed without damage to the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back