Dimplex storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have not touched a storage heater for 20 years or more, and then it was only to do with the supply to them.
Suddenly this is the 4th since New year and the first time I've had to fault on one.

It didn't get hot and apart from struggling to get the cover off [and even worse getting it back on!] it didn't take long to discover the overheat cut out and reset it. After that it seemed to be working OK [clamped at 10A, same as a similar heater] except the piece of wire between the cut out and thermostat [positioned above the thermostat] was getting hot/smoking. The cheap multimeter shows it to be 2.4Ω and measures 1V across it, I assume [hope] the numerical error is due to the quality of the meter.

My question: is this link wire supposed to be a heating element above the thermostat and/or is it normal for it to be naked as it looks very vulnerable like this?
20180406_151416[1].jpg

Sponsored Links
Been a while since i reset one, dont recall that bare wire bit, some heaters i think do have a bare thermal link, but that looks more like a bit of wire.
Theres been a lot of posts on here regarding resetting them so may be some pics on old posts you can compare.
Is it a Dimplex

Been a while since i reset one, dont recall that bare wire bit, some heaters i think do have a bare thermal link, but that looks more like a bit of wire.
Theres been a lot of posts on here regarding resetting them so may be some pics on old posts you can compare.
Is it a Dimplex
I looked at about 20 threads then gave up, all of the pics I've seen seem to have a different arrangement. Yes it is a Dimplex with a convector but I didn't get the model. To be honest it wasn't the cleanest property so I didn't want to hang around for longer than I needed to.

Yes it does look like a bit of wire but it does seem to have some resistance and it gets quite hot.

Looks like where the thermal link should be. There are two cutouts in all the heaters.

Sponsored Links
Looks like where the thermal link should be. There are two cutouts in all the heaters.
I don't see 2 cutouts,I have assumed. The black circularish item is the cutout and the set of contactswith a pink insulator is a thermostat set. Y the front panel control, but it's only 'direct' heat source seems to be the bit of wire above it.

I don't see 2 cutouts,I have assumed. The black circularish item is the cutout and the set of contactswith a pink insulator is a thermostat set. Y the front panel control, but it's only 'direct' heat source seems to be the bit of wire above it.
That’s what I mean. The second one shot cutout or thermal link is missing.

I have never seen a link and cutout in the same heater, I wonder if it was a manufacturers mod when links were being phased out

I have never seen a link and cutout in the same heater, I wonder if it was a manufacturers mod when links were being phased out
Are you saying this is a fusible thermal link?
Oops, I imagined it is a heating element to control the thermistat in some way, like the hysteresis heaters in domestic CH thermostats.

Usually the supply comes up through the adjustable thermostat, a resettable cutout, usually a second one shot cutout or fuseable link, all in series. Yours seems to have three cores coming up to the top of the heater. I can’t quite work out what’s what.

Usually the supply comes up through the adjustable thermostat, a resettable cutout, usually a second one shot cutout or fuseable link, all in series. Yours seems to have three cores coming up to the top of the heater. I can’t quite work out what’s what.
Ah your last point I can help with
20180406_151330[1].jpg

Sorry it's a bit fuzzy

On closer inspection that heater looks like a Creda, still not convinced about the double cut out theory

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back