DIN mounted electricity energy meters

That's raised a point anyway, the meter should be as early in the circuit as possible to include the cable losses.
Theoretically true, if it is measuring voltage as well as current but, again, not likely to be an appreciable problem in relation to 'domestic purposes' for having such a monitor.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Theoretically true, if it is measuring voltage as well as current but, again, not likely to be an appreciable problem in relation to 'domestic purposes' for having such a monitor.

Kind Regards, John
Don't forget OP is about a barn.

Don't forget OP is about a barn.
True.

I suppose it depends upon what the OP is actually interested in measuring.

If he's interested in knowing how much energy is actually being used by the loads in (or connected to) the barn, then the relevant voltage is that being supplied to the equipment.

If, on the other hand, he is interested in the total energy being metered (hence paid for) (including that which is merely heating up the distribution wiring), then the relevant voltage will be that at the meter.

Kind Regards, John

True.

I suppose it depends upon what the OP is actually interested in measuring.

If he's interested in knowing how much energy is actually being used by the loads in (or connected to) the barn, then the relevant voltage is that being supplied to the equipment.

If, on the other hand, he is interested in the total energy being metered (hence paid for) (including that which is merely heating up the distribution wiring), then the relevant voltage will be that at the meter.

Kind Regards, John
This was an issue we had in a customers property when we fitted power meters on all circuits (each MCB in a control panel) and the sum was always a little shy of the meter feeding it some 15-20 floors below. An additional meter at the top highlighted the loss in the cable, we even swapped the meter and current transformers over to verify the issue.

Sponsored Links
This was an issue we had in a customers property when we fitted power meters on all circuits (each MCB in a control panel) and the sum was always a little shy of the meter feeding it some 15-20 floors below. An additional meter at the top highlighted the loss in the cable, we even swapped the meter and current transformers over to verify the issue.
As I said, in the real world there will inevitable be some difference, 'significant' or not, between the energy consumed by the loads and the energy metered and paid for - so it comes down to the question of which one is interested in.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you for a very informative discussion. I have chosen a DIN mounted meter to fit into my barn consumer box; and I am confident it will give me the information I need. Not too expensive either. Thanks again for all the advice. Chas

Thank you for a very informative discussion. I have chosen a DIN mounted meter to fit into my barn consumer box; and I am confident it will give me the information I need.
Fair enough. As for 'the information you need', as I've said, that will measure how much energy the equipment in your barn is using but, if it is fairly distant from the origin (hence meter) of your electricity supply, it may (possibly appreciably) underestimate how much energy usage is metered (and paid for), if a significant amount of energy is being 'wasted' in heating the distribution cables.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back