How to run a storage heater on Econ 7 and daytime electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Part P electrician will be sorting it out but I want to think through the options first and I'd like some help.

I don't really want to only connect it to the 24 hour electric (only 1 meter so night-time would be on Econ 7 anyway) because I'd have to run it through a timer to switch it on for the night (which varies in time) and then have a boost button for X hours in the daytime.

The non electrician in me says that it should be wired so that if power can be drawn from the Econ 7 consumer unit then that is done and if no power is available then it draws power from the regular unit. At whatever time Econ 7 kicks in, it simply switches over from one power source to the the other.

Is there an easy way to stop it taking regular feeds when Econ 7 is available and also not to cause problems with feedback into either line when the other is being used ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The easy way to do it is to do what you don't want to do and run it from the 24h CU through a timer. This is commonly done with immersion heaters and there are timers available for that job.

However there is no point in running a storage heater on peak time electricity. They are designed to store up heat over the charge period and release it slowly.

If you want a daytime heat boost then:

- use a fan storage heater charged offpeak and a thermostat or timeswitch to activate the fan and release stored heat as required
- use a Dimplex Duoheat or similar heater that incorporates a peaktime panel heater for top-up room heating
- use a separate heater for top-up room heating.

If you really want it to come on when the e7 comes on and be able to be turned on manually I see two options.

1: use a supply changeover switch.
2: use the E7 supply to trigger a contactor, you can then wire said contactor in paralell with a normal switch or timer or whatever.

Sponsored Links
...However there is no point in running a storage heater on peak time electricity. They are designed to store up heat over the charge period and release it slowly. ....

I really only want one heater in the room. I already have the storage heater (was unused elsewhere).

It heats up somewhat in as little as 15 minutes and gets very hot after a little over half an hour. After that it operates as would an oil filled portable radiator. I'd say that even after a short charge it remains warm longer than an oil heater so I think it is a viable alternative, though I admit it is far from perfect.

...However there is no point in running a storage heater on peak time electricity. They are designed to store up heat over the charge period and release it slowly. ....

I really only want one heater in the room. I already have the storage heater (was unused elsewhere).

It heats up somewhat in as little as 15 minutes and gets very hot after a little over half an hour. After that it operates as would an oil filled portable radiator. I'd say that even after a short charge it remains warm longer than an oil heater so I think it is a viable alternative, though I admit it is far from perfect.

In that case use supply from the on-peak board and use an Eco 7 immersion heater timer with a timed boost function (provided the heater is < 3kW)

In that case use supply from the on-peak board and use an Eco 7 immersion heater timer with a timed boost function (provided the heater is < 3kW)

Problem is that Econ 7 is not predictable enough with Scottish Power in my region. Every day the time is different, sometimes marginally, sometimes up to an hour different.

Either I accept only say 5 hours off peak or I open myself up to potentially an hour or more at peak rates at the beginning or end of the off peak charging cycle. Hence the desire to have it wired into the Econ 7 consumer unit.

Is using a relay a viable alternative ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back