Storage heaters full charge time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hoping someone can help as I can't find the answer to this anywhere.

A google search brought me to this forum.

I have economy 7 storage heaters (3.4Kw) in my home. As we all know they charge up through the night on the 7 hours of cheap rate electricity.

Now I'm wondered at what time are they charged? Maybe after three hours?
Or are they only fully charged after 7 hours when on the highest input setting?

Thanks

VCrool

Sponsored Links
It depends on:-

-Whether you have fully shut the output flap.
-The setting of the thermostat.
-The temperature of the room.

I think they are expensive to charge for a whole 7 hours.

Try a charge period at the start of the cheap rate.
Another charge period at the end.

It is what I do.

Maybe 2 hrs each?

And importantly, make sure it doesn't overlap to expensive rate!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

There is no thermostat - only input and output.

Output flap shut.

Room would be warmish.

AndyPRK-

That is what I am thinking but also want to take it a stage further.
I'm thinking about moving onto a standard tariff and then control the heaters with timers so they come on when I want them on.

Coming on for 7 hours through the night is expensive and wasteful. My lounge needs heating from 6.00pm to midnight. Ironically this when it is at it's coldest.

Storage heaters seem to give out the most the heat when charging up and cool down from then on.

So by my reckoning if they were on at the right time I could have them on for less time. My home would be warmer and when needed and my bills wouldn't be too dissimilar.

I've had a quote from my electric company - for the same amount of electricity I used over the last year if I was on their cheapest standard tariff I would only be paying an extra £10ish a month. And that's calculated against two heaters being on for the full 7 hours a night.
With timers fitted I think I'd only need them on for 4 maybe 5 hours a day. Hence my question about how long they take to be fully charged.

Anyone see any flaw to this plan?

Cheers

The input is a thermostat.

I find it strange that the heaters i've worked on the output flap is fully open at about half way on the dial.

The output flap changes depending on its temperature, for example if the heater is cold then #4 on the dial might mean it would be fully open, however if the heater had been charging for some hours then #4 would be half open as the metal flap had distorted.

(edit: actually I think the above might be the other way around, I've only ever experimented with the storage heater at a friends and I'm pretty sure the output flap adjusted itself depending on temperature)

VCrool, you could wire the storage to the day supply but you may as well use the front convection heater (if the storage heaters have them, that is) as they only use around 1Kw compared to the ~3Kw of the storage side. Also convection is instant heat which is what you'd need; storage bricks only give out decent heat when charged so it seems entirely pointless to charge them on high-rate electricity.

VCrool - They aren't designed to work that way though.

I would try:

1) closing the flap last thing at night, and only open it in the evening. See if that works.

2) Get a small portable convector heater/fan. Homebase did some good ones.

I'm thinking about moving onto a standard tariff and then control the heaters with timers so they come on when I want them on.
They don't work like that
Coming on for 7 hours through the night is expensive and wasteful.
Not as expensive as in the daytime.
My lounge needs heating from 6.00pm to midnight. Ironically this when it is at it's coldest.
Only if you've had them open all day and then not as cold as if they hadn't been open all day.
Storage heaters seem to give out the most the heat when charging up and cool down from then on.
It sounds as if you're not operating them correctly.
So by my reckoning if they were on at the right time I could have them on for less time. My home would be warmer and when needed and my bills wouldn't be too dissimilar.
They're not for switching on when you want heat. They don't work like that.
I've had a quote from my electric company - for the same amount of electricity I used over the last year if I was on their cheapest standard tariff I would only be paying an extra £10ish a month. And that's calculated against two heaters being on for the full 7 hours a night.
How come their cheapest tariff costs more?
With timers fitted I think I'd only need them on for 4 maybe 5 hours a day. Hence my question about how long they take to be fully charged.
I suspect 4 or 5 hours in the day won't save you any money and the house would have no heating in the morning.
Anyone see any flaw to this plan?
Yes, your plan is to get rid of the storage heaters and have electric fires or panel heaters so you will need to buy electric fires or panel heaters.

The input is a thermostat.

I find it strange that the heaters i've worked on the output flap is fully open at about half way on the dial.
Ah, so that's how the input works? The number corresponds to a temp of charge?

Yes my flaps are fully open on half way round the dial.

VCrool, you could wire the storage to the day supply but you may as well use the front convection heater (if the storage heaters have them, that is) as they only use around 1Kw compared to the ~3Kw of the storage side. Also convection is instant heat which is what you'd need; storage bricks only give out decent heat when charged so it seems entirely pointless to charge them on high-rate electricity.
I don't think mine have a front convection heater.

My problem is that the 12-7am times of econ7 do not suite me. In my experience the heaters start to give out great heat while being charged (even with the output flap closed).
I want my heaters on say 5pm - 9pm so when I get home from work my lounge is warm. At present it is warmest when empty of people. I go to bed when the heaters turn on. Crazy.

the heaters start to give out great heat while being charged (even with the output flap closed).
They shouldn't.

Obviously they will BE warm (in the morning) but they should not 'give out' a lot of heat with the flap closed. Perhaps the mechanism and seals are faulty.

I go to bed when the heaters turn on. Crazy.
No. They do not 'turn on' as such when you go to bed.

They begin to heat the bricks when the electricity is cheaper (all relative).
By the morning they should be VERY hot and if the flap is closed (and working properly) should still be quite hot by evening.

If the flap is set open it should close up during the charging period, it is controlled by a bi-metal strip and an adjuster screw

Thanks for the input.

I think if I explain my situation it'll be clearer on what I'm trying to achieve. I'm not trying to save money - I'm trying to be have the warmest home when I am in it.

I live in a one bed apartment, poorly insulated, big rooms, rented. It's mostly empty during the day even at weekends. I have storage heaters in the bedroom and lounge.

I know for a fact that my rooms with storage heaters are at their warmest after a couple hours of charge during the cheap rate period. The heaters then cool down throughout the rest of the day. The output 'boost' opens when I get home, but basically the majority of the heat has gone by then - not surprising after 12 hours.

The heaters do work well and do give out heat for a long time. But it's the wrong time.

On econ7 my total bill was £780 for the year.
On Npower's cheapest standard tariff that same amount of usage would have cost me £891 for the year. But with timers fitted I could have controlled when the rooms were heated.

I've thought about electric fan blowers and have used one. But it has to be on constantly to heat the room. It gets cold quickly when off. Hence why I'd like to use the storage heaters as they constantly give off heat.

I'm not trying to use the storage heaters in the wrong way. I'm trying to 'time shift' so the rooms are warmest when I am in them. For my life I'd like the lounge to have maximum warmth 6pm-midnight. To accomplish that I believe a charge time of 4pm-9pm would work. Then the heat would ebb away until the next day.

I have spoken to npower - they agree with this and will fit a standard rate meter FOC.

Econ7 is ok in principle but I don't want a hot lounge in the morning as it's not being used - and a bedroom which is too hot during the night and too cold in evening.

I suppose my initial question is what is the minimum amount of time storage heaters need to be charged up to be effective. 5 hours?

Apologies for the wall of text and I hope this is now clearer.

Cheers

why not get a couple of oil filled rads, and kick the storage heaters into touch, along with E7 tariff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back