Night storage heaters and economy 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have night storage heaters on economy 7. They are meant to come on at 12.30am and heat for 7 hours which is fine. However, I leave the wall switch in the ON position and the red light comes on at the switch. I was wondering if it should do this when the night rate is not in place. I also noticed tonight at 8pm that the big one in the lounge is making a humming noise, does this mean that it is charging outside of the night rate? Im worried that in this cold spell I am paying peak rate prices and my heaters are constantly on charge.

Please help as Im am becoming worried about the bill as heaters have been switched on at the wall for 6 days!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming they have been installed correctly, and your metering has been installed correctly, they should only operate during the off peak hours. The red neon should only light during those hours.

What sort of timeswitch do you have at your meter, an old clock type or is it a "black box" teleswitch, if it is a clock it probably has not been reset for a while and is working at the wrong times, you should be on off peak anyway as the timeswitch also switches the meter over to off peak, a pic of your metering arrangement might help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back