installing a wireless energy monitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just purchased a wireless energy monitor. I'ts called the owl, and it clamps to the live meter tail going from the meter to the consumer unit, this clamp connects to a sender box which in turn sends to a receiver with a digital readout, this tells you how much power in kw you are using.
My question is; my house is on economy 7 with a teleswitcher, so which is the live tail and does it come from the meter or the teleswitcher?.
The instructions don't cover how to connect the clamp to this system.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a clamp on ammeter? If you are wanting to see all the power being used I'd expect you need to have it on tails as they exit the service head. Don't know what your electricity provider will think of this tho!!
Can you post a photo of your setup - service head, meter, teleswitch etc?

Sponsored Links
I'm not saying it is illegal, they just might look at it twice if it is on their tail. Can you zoom out a bit and post a pic of the whole meter area?

I'm not saying it is illegal, they just might look at it twice if it is on their tail. Can you zoom out a bit and post a pic of the whole meter area?

It's clipped around the incoming tail to the consumer unit, part of the consumers installation.
I have a similar item, Efergy.

i can't get to the incoming tails to the consumer unit, they're very neatly chased into the wall above the unit.
I was hoping to clip it to the cable inside the meter box and avoid any disturbing of old walls!

it will measure the current down whatever tail you clip it to (note: it has to be arround JUST the live so you can't use it on a multicore cable, some DNOs use such a cable from the cutout to the meter to make it trickier for people to steal leccy). so if you clipped it to the live tail from the cutout it will measure all electricity used in the installation (including the off peak stuff).

Can't go to between the cutout and meter owing to design, wondering if you clamped it to the wire connected on the left hand side of the henley block if that would do it??

ok thanks for all the responses,
Firstly, which is the henley block? i'll assume its the one on the right of the picture, i'll try this first.
Also, the clamp supplied with the kit is pretty slack around the cable, i assumed it would be a snug fit, would this affect its reading, ie does it have to be tight to the sheathing to measure the flow or will it pick it up anyway?

Sorry, yeah the henley block is the one at the bottom right hand side with 3 wires in the top and 1 in the bottom. Top LH one btw!
A little bit of slack shouldn't matter.

Bit of a nasty one to put a clamp meter round.

See these energy things more and more lately both Customers side and DNO side, I just remove them do my bit and put em back no harm caused.

Looking at the pic Mattbadger you should be able to get it around the tail between the meter and henley block (bit of a squeeze so be very careful not to loosen the terminations) that will measure all current in to your house.

Be aware tho I know of one DNO testing whats known as Smart meters in scotland that I've heard do the exact same thing as well as record the gas reading too ;)

thankyou everybody that replied, it works a treat!!
It was the top left hand cable in the henley block.
Just sitting in the dark cooking me dinner over a candle now!
Thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back