Wireless Electricity Monitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
M&S are selling wireless electricity monitors featuring a small clamp and sender for the meter tail and a remote receiver for 25 quid

However when I looked closely, they only monitored to 71A and the reason I wanted one was to see how close to the 80A incoming fuse we get under typical working conditions.

I've had a brief look through Google but it's not easy to determine up to how many Amps these machines will measure. I think the M&S one is the OWL monitor from the pics and brochure.

My question is whether anyone has experience of a machine that would go up to say 100A, at reasonable cost.

Thank you for any helpful comments.

Sponsored Links
However when I looked closely, they only monitored to 71A and the reason I wanted one was to see how close to the 80A incoming fuse we get under typical working conditions.

quite an easy problem to work out

load up untill your in the mid 60A say 67a

remove 2 or 3 heavy users reading drops to say 52a so those items have a value of 15a

carry on till all other items are in use then add on the 15a

the average amps drawn will be way less than half the maximum on anything with a motor

Thanks for the replies so far.

I may end up with a clamp meter but I was hoping to be able to leave the remote station in reception and monitor and record the figures throughout the day.

I we put everything on, we would exceed our 80A but I'm trying to gauge a real life working maximum and average amperage.

I did buy the M&S one but put it all back in the box once I could read the spec as it was not on the box, so I might keep it to try but it won't help me if we go over current (71A)

We use 34,000KWH per year and are open about 3000hours per year and assuming nil use after hours (not true of course) means we are using 11.33kw per hour so we're averaging in the mid to high 40's Amps. The meter fairly spins round !

Am I right in thinking the DNO can upgrade the fuse to 100A if their wiring was adequate and this would give me another bit of capacity at peak usage time as a main fuse blow would be somewhat of an inconvenience. They've not offered although they did do a meter check when we first moved in to check the bill was right and know what sort of usage we have.

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking the DNO can upgrade the fuse to 100A if their wiring was adequate and this would give me another bit of capacity at peak usage time as a main fuse blow would be somewhat of an inconvenience. They've not offered although they did do a meter check when we first moved in to check the bill was right and know what sort of usage we have.

Yes, although, as you say, it's a bit of an 'if' and you can't be 100% certain it will be possible with the existing main supply cable. If you don't have any problems then there seems little point in worrying.

Just keep going.

If there is a pop and everything goes dark, you've probably reached 110A or so. :LOL:

What kit do you have that uses so much power?

I'm very keen to avoid an incoming fuse blow as I don't know how long it takes to be replaced and in the interim we would be down to a 2.5KW generator and essentially shut down.

Getting on for half of it is lighting with 124 fluorescent tubes although as of last year they are almost all on occupancy sensors and it's saving me about 2000KWH pa so money well spent.

A 2kw hydrotherapy pool heater and 500W pump on all the time, although heater soon to be replaced with a heat exchanger on the gas CH.

After that its probably 9 screens and PCs, network hardware and printers

A 9kw autoclave (only one or two 13 minute cycles per day)

A 2KW hot water machine for teas and coffees in reception (on all the daytime but intermittently heating)

Lots of low energy small items some plugged in others intermittently used including a sophisticated red care type intruder and fire alarm to keep things safe.

The X-ray machine takes a big whack but only for a few milliseconds. Could be as much as 100A, I think for the big filament.

We're adding more space at the moment, hence my interest in monitoring my usage as we'll have another couple of dozen tubes and some more general stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back