Dipped door doesn't fit!

C

cb9002

I had an Iroko door dipped, which took off about 5 layers of paint.

I left the door two weeks to dry, applied three coats of water based PU varnish and refitted the door - it doesn't fit! The door seems to have expanded to the extent it won't fit in the frame.

I've left it two more weeks to see if it would shrink but it hasn't. I'm reluctant to plane it because I can't see how dipping it could have made it expand, and I don't want to be left with a gaping gap around the door in six months.

Any ideas if the door will have stabilised after a month and if doors normally need planing after dipping?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you need to check to see if any joints have opened up with the dipping!!!

if they are still tight take you door outside in the sun rotate regularly every hour or so so both sides top and bottom get the sun
take in before the damp sets in then hopfully after a week or so the extra moisture will have escaped

it can take up to a month after wet dipping for the door to dry out and shrink to normal size i suspect you have trapped the moisture in now by painting it

a door can look and feel fully dry on the surface but be soaking in the centre

OK thanks, I'll try that. I did leave it two weeks before varnishing though...

And yes, some of the joints have expanded - only the ones around the mouldings though. I've checked all the tenons and can't see any expansion or distortion around them.

Sponsored Links
do you have any 3ft clamps or ratchet straps!!!

if not place a board/battons off wood on solid ground place the lock edge on the ground make shure its well supported along its length
with a hammer and protective batton and firmly hammer working from one edge to the other

if this works and it fits in the opening properly ask for the next stage ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back