door no longer closes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I fitted a door in my bathroom about 3 months ago. I've not got round to priming or painting this door yet so its still a natural pine door. It has closed really nice (really good fit and was very proud) however a could of days ago I noticed it was starting slighly catch and today, it will not close at all.

There is one other factor here that I should mention, the bathroom does not have a extractor yet.

Do you think the door has expaned because of the warmer weather or lack of extractor?

Im struggling to believe its anything to do with the ventilation because its been fine for so long then over two days its deterioated quickly.

So as well as wy this has happened for future reference, what should I do to fix it? I didnt want to plane the door off if its going to shrink soon then the gap round the door will be alot bigger.

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer me.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Do you think the door has expaned because of the lack of extractor?

Nail and head springs to mind.
The door has swelled because of the moist air in the bathroom. How to solve the problem, personally I'd take the door off and refit the old one if you have it . Then stack the door nice and flat in the garage to dry out for a couple of months , refit and paint straight away.

Bathroom doors are most susceptible to expansion and warping as you get high humidity on one side, and low on the other. And pine timber suffers the worst

Once stabilised it wont expand and contract further

You could take a bit off the edge to get it closing, and then paint it

Bathroom doors are most susceptible to expansion and warping as you get high humidity on one side, and low on the other. And pine timber suffers the worst

Once stabilised it wont expand and contract further

You could take a bit off the edge to get it closing, and then paint it

do you think it will return to its normal size? then I could paint?

Sponsored Links
I don't think it will return to its exact previous size, unless the door was placed near to the bathroom or in a similar humid location for a few weeks before fitting

It will have absorbed moisture and expanded to reflect the relative humidity of your house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back