hanging my first door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all, I really hope you can help point me in the right direction here.

Im hanging my first door after watching several videos online and reading up as much as possible. I put the door liner in myself which is all plumb.

All seemed to be going well until im trying to hang the door. I have the door in a fully open position using a couple of shims I prop the door so its level, then I screw it up tight. Only problem is as the door closes further and further it goes further out of level. So to clarify, on the top of the door, its level when its in a fully open position but some way out when closing.

What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your hinges are not installed on the same plumb line so when you close the door it twists. Any pictures?

You say "all plumb". It sounds as if its only plumb one way, or your hinges are let in different depths.

Sponsored Links
hey all, I really hope you can help point me in the right direction here.

Im hanging my first door after watching several videos online and reading up as much as possible. I put the door liner in myself which is all plumb.

All seemed to be going well until im trying to hang the door. I have the door in a fully open position using a couple of shims I prop the door so its level, then I screw it up tight. Only problem is as the door closes further and further it goes further out of level. So to clarify, on the top of the door, its level when its in a fully open position but some way out when closing.

What am I doing wrong?
Is it also square and level, ? Lining can be plumb[vertical] without being level and square.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back