Hanging a door problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my first ever go at hanging a door. Inevitably I have made a mistake but wanted some advice to see if I can fix it or if I have to start all over.

The door is hung and moves well. However I have managed to take a bit too much off the latch side of the door so that when it closes the gap is just too wide. It is only a few mm out. Is there any kind of adjustment I can make hinge-side or should I just start again with a new door?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you've rebated the hinges you could pack them out or move them up/down a little bit, then fill the rebated bit in and paint over. Or get some timber to pack out the door lining to take up the gap.
or get a new door.

depends on location, if it's front door then you have a problem, if it's the door to a bedroom in the loft, not worth panicking over.

Thanks for your reply. Its the door to the downstairs bathroom. I'm not overly worried about it but would like to move it by a couple of mm.

I have rebated the hinges so guess it would be good to pack them out as this would probably move them by the required amount.

Any suggestions what would be best to pack them out with?

When I was an apprentice and for a time after we always used a bit of fag packet, but thats banned now.

Sponsored Links
If you have any mdf lying around you can cut that to size of hinge recess and slice it to thickness with a Stanly blade.

yep sandpaper screw boxes fag packet then the hinge knuckle will cover it ;)

if your gap is greater than 3mm you maybe better packing out the door rebate as well as the frame rebate

how much gap do you have to fill !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back