cabinet door hanging problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 cabinet doors to hang just bog standard 22mm mdf panel

The first went on fine the second however is giving me grief

I'm using those flush hinges that don't need recesses.

The problem is the problem door once hung springs back when you close it
the hinges feel a bit tight as the door closes the other door is fine and shuts properly

The frame is square and plum I've checked and double checked that and I've also tried shimming the hinges but I can't seem to get it quite right

Can someone offer some advise

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the door itself isn't slightly bowed?

Some pictures might help too.

Have you checked the door itself isn't slightly bowed?

Some pictures might help too.

Just checked door and it seems fine.
It was only cut at the timber yard yesterday and been kept flat. I have the rest of the sheet which is ok too

I'll see what I can do picture wise

Managed to sort it after scratching my head all day

Must have been a bad/bent hinge as new hinge with a slight mm or so packing sorted it

All I can think is either the hinge was bad to start with or I bent it slightly initially tightening it up

Sponsored Links
my suggestion would have been to loosen both hinges on the door about 2 turns and watch how the hinges react this allows a hinge off line to try and lift or drop and even twist a bit

my suggestion would have been to loosen both hinges on the door about 2 turns and watch how the hinges react this allows a hinge off line to try and lift or drop and even twist a bit

That's exactly what I did in the end and I noticed the bottom hinge seemed like it wanted to move with the door when it got about an inch away from closing causing it to spring back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back