Door corner sticking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Really hoping you can help. I have attempted to build a “secret bookcase” door for my daughter. The door itself I’m happy with but despite hanging it three times, the bottom corner on the opposite side of the hinge side, sticks out by about 4cm when I close the door. Everything is plumb and level so I just don’t understand it. When I lay the door flat, it’s flat! It isn’t warped. Has anyone got any ideas please?
Thanks,
Joe.
583F099E-53AF-42F2-A63C-9F125A7FD26E.jpeg

Attachments

• A1DA2F51-E764-4C08-BCF9-78869B3C9FE9.jpeg
    A1DA2F51-E764-4C08-BCF9-78869B3C9FE9.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 153276F1-5C1E-4678-AC3A-CE4BE74335C4.jpeg
    153276F1-5C1E-4678-AC3A-CE4BE74335C4.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
Check if the main hinges are recessed enough and if the screw heads aren't protruding. Looks like the hinges aren't closing fully.
If the frames not square to the door you may need to plain some of the door edge where the hinges attach

You photo’s do not show what you described, the door is not closing along entire height not in one corner ?

Photo is only the bottom half of the door. It’s fine at the top corner but the bottom corner sticks out so the gap gets bigger as you go down the door

Sponsored Links
Whe you lay the door down how do you know the door isn't just lying flat under it's own weight? Can you push the corner in?

You can push the corner in yes. The door itself is really light. I even took the cabinet doors off to check if it’s warped but no dice

If it is one of the lightweight doors with thin mdf lining, they'll never be straight, but 4cm is a bit too much.
What screws have you used on the hinges?
Do they sit nicely in the countersink or do they protrude?

It is homemade, that's how I started this post. I was after some advice on this issue, being a DIY forum. if you have any actionable advice then fantastic. Saying that its a problem because its homemade isn't helping anyone...fantastic advice there

@matlob, I played around with it and some spacers and it's done the trick, Thank you! Now just to get this locking mechanism on :/

It is homemade, that's how I started this post. I was after some advice on this issue, being a DIY forum. if you have any actionable advice then fantastic. Saying that its a problem because its homemade isn't helping anyone...fantastic advice there
Perhaps you should have sought some advice before you cobbled it together.

working fine now mate... maybe try giving out advice on an advice forum. I have no time for people trolling to make themselves feel better.

Hi @angliojoe

Please don't take umbrage.

You have used butt hinges, but used them as exterior surface mounted hinges. Only the knuckle is supposed to be visible. Conventionally, you would chisel out a rebate in the edge of the door face to accommodate the hinge (and possibly one in the frame).

For future prosperity, a 35mm cup hinge- the type used for kitchen cabinet doors might make life easier. They are far easier to adjust, up down, left right.

Hi @opps, thanks for the message. The butt hinges on the cabinet doors at the bottom are more there for effect than anything else. The door itself was the problem and had space for the hinges routed out which turned out to be the problem, one was too deep. I added a spacer in the top hinge on the frame side and sunk the screw heads on both hinges in further and it finally fell flat against the frame so all sorted. Although it was a bit tedious :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back