Stubborn Stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After stripping several layers of varnish from the wood and sanding down (rough-to-smooth) the door is almost ready for a new coat of varnish.
But, as you can see, on the bottom left panel a patch of 'something' refuses to budge, despite an industrial level of abuse and cutting edge sarcasm i can't shift it.
What could do the job?

Attachments

• IMGP5368.JPG
    IMGP5368.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
If you mean the other left.. I'm wondering whether it's somehow been less sun faded. The grain in that middle panel is just gorgeous btw

It almost looks like different wood.

I have seen something similar happen if you sand with too fine a grade of paper at too fast a speed with a rotary sander.

Perhaps you could try to sand it using an orbital or random orbital sander and 80 or 100 grit paper.

If you mean the other left.. I'm wondering whether it's somehow been less sun faded. The grain in that middle panel is just gorgeous btw

Less sun is a possibility but the substance has a waxy feel to it - perhaps an attempt at staining it?
The original varnish was put down in the '30s so i've no idea what kind of shellacking they gave it.

The grain is my primary reason for slaving over this wood for the past six weeks. I love the random waves and lines and different colours, even textures. I really wanted to put a layer of varnish on this weekend but until i can shift this weird brown patch i'll have to be patient.

I have a soft copper brush and will consider using it - gently! - on the grain tomorrow, perhaps with a dip of white spirit.

Sponsored Links
It almost looks like different wood.

I have seen something similar happen if you sand with too fine a grade of paper at too fast a speed with a rotary sander.

Perhaps you could try to sand it using an orbital or random orbital sander and 80 or 100 grit paper.

It is different - i think the panels were cut from random pieces of wood...perhaps old packing crate:mrgreen:.

Under no circumstances will i use power tools in this area - the dust is bad enough from using sandpaper and the noise too devastating. Besides, i like using my hands to do this kind of work as i can maintain a feel for the wood as i work on it.
It plays havoc with my joints but with plenty of Voltarol i will persist.

The original varnish was put down in the '30s so i've no idea what kind of shellacking they gave it.
A lot of these doors were made in volume by big mills in Canada between WWI and WWII using timbers such a spruce and Douglas fir (hence the striking grain).

As a mass market product these doors were generally sold unfinished, which means the house builder would have been responsible for finishing them. I think most of them would originally have either been either painted or stained and lacquered (stuff like Sadolin oil-based varnish/lacquer). AFAIK waxing wasn't used in the 30s, and you rarely see French polishing (i.e shellac-based finishes) in domestic woodwork other than for individual pieces of furniture after WWI, which isn't surprising when you consider the amount of time and physical labour that goes into French polishing, even when you cheat and lay down three or four of the coats by spraying. To my mind it suggests that you either have a sun-shade type marking or that someone may have tried to strip and wax the door at some time in the past - and wax can be a bugger to lift out of grain. What effect does sanding have, if any?

I have a soft copper brush and will consider using it - gently! - on the grain tomorrow, perhaps with a dip of white spirit.
I'd caution against using any form of metal brush on a relatively soft softwood such as this - you can use soft brass brushes on some open pore hardwoods such as oak and ash, but they are physically a lot harder than Douglas fir and they have open pores which can accumulate muck and wax, but firs lack these pores. TBH I think any form of wire brush on this door is risking damaging the surface and that solvents such as methylated spirits or white spirits with copious amounts of cotton rag are a far safer approach

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of these doors were made in volume by big mills in Canada between WWI and WWII using timbers such a spruce and Douglas fir (hence the striking grain).

As a mass market product these doors were generally sold unfinished, which means the house builder would have been responsible for finishing them. I think most of them would originally have either been either painted or stained and lacquered (stuff like Sadolin oil-based varnish/lacquer). AFAIK waxing wasn't used in the 30s, and you rarely see French polishing (i.e shellac-based finishes) in domestic woodwork other than for individual pieces of furniture after WWI, which isn't surprising when you consider the amount of time and physical labour that goes into French polishing, even when you cheat and lay down three or four of the coats by spraying. To my mind it suggests that you either have a sun-shade type marking or that someone may have tried to strip and wax the door at some time in the past - and wax can be a bugger to lift out of grain. What effect does sanding have, if any?

I'd caution against using any form of metal brush on a relatively soft softwood such as this - you can use soft brass brushes on some open pore hardwoods such as oak and ash, but they are physically a lot harder than Douglas fir and they have open pores which csn accumulste muck and wax, but firs lack these pores. TBH I think any form of wire brush on this door is risking damaging the surface and that solvents such as methylated spirits or white spirits with copious amounts of cotton rag are a far safer approach

That's a useful bunch of info. I'll take your advice and persist using rags, rage - and plenty of Voltarol.

At some point in the past someone switched the door round and hung it from the opposite side - i had to fill in the old hinge grooves and around the spot where the door knob would've gone. The bathroom is flooded with sunlight in the morning and summer sun would've put a great deal of light on the spot i'm dealing with. If not for that i'd be done by now and ready to varnish this weekend.

I'll take your advice and persist using rags, rage - and plenty of Voltarol.
Have you tried sanding it? If it is sun bleached it may sand out.

Another alternative might be bleach - not the common or garden household chlorine bleach, but 2-part wood bleach, hydrogen peroxide (as once beloved of "bottle blondes") or oxallic acid (comes as crystals from the chemist which are mixed with water). All of these have to be used with extreme care, and after use you will have to neutralise them, sand the surfaces (as they all raise the grain) and stain the wood to get the colour back. Consider them to be the nuclear option

A couple of things to note about bleaches - firstly they can always be diluted, which slows their action, a secondly if the dark markings are caused by oil or wax they won't remove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried sanding it? If it is sun bleached it may sand out.

Another alternative might be bleach - not the common or garden household chlorine bleach, but 2-part wood bleach, hydrogen peroxide (as once beloved of "bottle blondes") or oxallic acid (comes as crystals from the chemist which are mixed with water). All of these have to be used with extreme care, and after use you will have to neutralise them, sand the surfaces (as they all raise the grain) and stain the wood to get the colour back. Consider them to be the nuclear option

A couple of things to note about bleaches - firstly they can always be diluted, which slows their action, a secondly if the dark markings are caused by oil or wax they won't remove it.

Sanding down was the first option, rough 60 to smooth 240, which worked well on the rest of the door but hasn't really done much of anything on this stubborn panel.
I'm reluctant to use a 'nuclear' option as my new bathroom floor would never forgive me - and remind me daily - if i erred.

And after a morning of endeavour i can see no real difference in the panel. It may be a tad lighter but that could just be wishful thinking. Any further sanding will certainly render the wood thinner - i can already feel a faint ridge along the grain where i've had to work harder so i think i'll just have to let it be.

Thanks again for your help.:)

Update*

After giving it one more go with wire wool and clean spirit i managed to fetch a good deal more out of the grain and after going over it again with a dry rub i think i might be getting somewhere.

Attachments

• IMGP5385.JPG
    IMGP5385.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP5386.JPG
    IMGP5386.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMGP5387.JPG
    IMGP5387.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 42

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back