Dipping toe into painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to do some painting and am gathering all the bits together. I have some beginner experience with rattle cans, and that's about all. I have never touched an air compressor before. I want to start small and stay small because I simply don't have room to store more stuff. I have ruled out 2k paints because the scary stories are just too scary. Not that I believe those, but just in case for the sake of bystanders. I will compensate the poorer durability with 5 coats or more of 1k clear if that makes a difference.

The little compressor I am looking at is this: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc6h-6-litre-oil-less-air-compressor

compressor.png

The spray gun will be the cheap china R500 lvlp. The claim was that it consumed 3.9 CFM. But, more likely, it will consume 8 CFM. This exceeds the 5.7 CFM capacity of the small compressor. I am thinking if I go slow, I may be able to get away with the small compressor? This is only a hope, and I have nothing to go on. Anyone with experienced cares to comment? I am not looking for a pro finish. Something passable will do - such as from the distance of a pedestrian looking at the car going past on the road. Rattle cans can achieve that for individual panels. But a spray gun would be cheaper over the long run and give more opportunities for corrections.

spray-gun.png

Sponsored Links
I am fully aware of the common claims. But, you did not explain what actually happens when the compressor is too small. Why can't I slow down and give time for the compressor to catch up? It doesn't take long to lay down paint. Adding more time to that part of painting shouldn't be an issue. I can see pro's preferring to get it done as quickly as possible. I am not in the same hurry.

According to this guy, it seems feasible:

Gun pressure regulator, and air filter is readily available.
regulator.png

Last edited:
I did a spray with a 50ltr 2hp and is was a struggle, the pressure gets below the regulator set-point and the spray drops off. It's possible with a low power one, but not that small. Also, the CFM ratings are always over-rated.

I also did 1pack, the result was "fine" but that's all. The finished lacquer isn't resitant to petrol...

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
I did a spray with a 50ltr 2hp and is was a struggle, the pressure gets below the regulator set-point and the spray drops off. It's possible with a low power one, but not that small. Also, the CFM ratings are always over-rated.

I also did 1pack, the result was "fine" but that's all. The finished lacquer isn't resitant to petrol...

Nozzle
How long before the drop off happened? If you had been doing 10 rounds of left and right before it dropped, I would consider that to be acceptable. With a smaller machine, it would happen a lot sooner obviously. Was your struggle to do with the fact that you had to suddenly stop spraying?

Yes, I am aware 1k paint is carp. I just need something passable. My rattle canned bit that faced the sun failed. The opposite side didn't and remains passable - strangers walking by would still ask if I want to sell. Passable is all I am after. If I have to redo every 5 years, I think I can handle that.

I do think you’d have a chance with cellulose paints, but anything else I’d forget about it.
Tekaloid, anyone?
John

You could try truckcoat (is that Tekaloid?)
That compressor would be running flat out and not keeping up at 5 bar

EU regulations says cellulose not allowed except for classic cars. It will give the insurer a handle to invalidate the insurance.

The strange thing is that car manufacturers use 1k paints with baking. The factory paint on mine is largely OK. Apparently, the plastic parts have 2k on them because those can't be baked.

That compressor would be running flat out and not keeping up at 5 bar
Suppose I want to paint the side skirt that would take 3 rattle cans to do. The machine would not be able to match the rattle cans in umph?

Suppose I want to paint the side skirt that would take 3 rattle cans to do. The machine would not be able to match the rattle cans in umph?
Correct.

With that setup you might get 1, possibly 2 swipes, and then a stutter, making it worse than it would be with a rattle can.

You won't listen so just buy it and go for it

Oh and you will use more air and paint clearing your gun (because of the lack of air), than actually painting your car.

Go for it. You know best

Last edited:
I’m worried he might dip his toe in.?
If you don't dip, you don't know.

Correct.

With that setup you might get 1, possibly 2 swipes, and then a stutter, making it worse than it would be with a rattle can.

You won't listen so just buy it and go for it
You are too fatalistic. I always listen. Just because I listen doesn't mean I agree with what I hear. It doesn't mean I don't agree with what I hear.

Since both the paint volume and air volume can be adjusted on the gun, why can't I turn both down to help the compressor? People in videos always try to bang out the paint as quickly as possible - you'd think they are trying to paint the whole shop. I don't have this need. I rather like what I see in car manufacturer videos where the paint mist is extremely fine and they do it quite slowly with many nozzles. I am thinking, I need just a single such nozzle. I suspect a mini compressor would be more than powerful enough for that.

If you don't dip, you don't know.

You are too fatalistic. I always listen. Just because I listen doesn't mean I agree with what I hear. It doesn't mean I don't agree with what I hear.

Since both the paint volume and air volume can be adjusted on the gun, why can't I turn both down to help the compressor? People in videos always try to bang out the paint as quickly as possible - you'd think they are trying to paint the whole shop. I don't have this need. I rather like what I see in car manufacturer videos where the paint mist is extremely fine and they do it quite slowly with many nozzles. I am thinking, I need just a single such nozzle. I suspect a mini compressor would be more than powerful enough for that.
Only way you will believe it will be when you try it.

You don't want advice, you want people to tell you it's a great idea.

So go for it. Come back and tell us about it after. But remember I said " you will use more paint and air clearing your gun than actually painting your car "

Sponsored Links
Back