Dipping toe into painting

Sponsored Links
Maybe £75. There is always an option for getting something bigger if the small compressor fails. I am unable to see failure at the moment owing to lack of experience, from me and from others. Nobody has tried it. They just assume it's not possible.
We're not .

Sponsored Links
Guy says moisture separator needs 15 meters of hose to work. That means I can't use one because I will only get a 5 meter hose. Both the pressure regulator and moisture separator will add resistance. My best bet is to go without.

The Italian ANI spray guns are good for the money

Here is compact gun with low CDM requirements

Bear in mind it only comes with 1.3 or 1.4 tips so only good for base and clears, not good for primer

Or the ANI 160 gun, which can do primer and finish coats, but you need different tip set ups.

In regards to compressor, the problem you will have is that when the compressor can’t keep up with the spray gun, the pressure drops at the gun which will affect your atomisation and fan pattern.

If you have to stop and wait for the compressor to catch up, you will not be able to keep a wet edge to the work - the outer edge of the fan pattern will not lay down a full coat, it only become a full wet coat with the next overlapping pass.

My advice would get yourself a half decent gun and a second hand compressor, if you want to have a go.

Bear in mind you could get though a 5 litre of paint and a 5 litre of thinners just practising.

Spraying is fun, but be prepared for a lot of disappointment, you will have a sub par setup and you want to spray the most challenging finishes. I spray furniture, way easier than cars

Bear in mind you could get though a 5 litre of paint and a 5 litre of thinners just practising.
For practicing, testing, and tweaking, I am thinking of using water. Alternative is to get cheaper non-custom-mix paint.

On balance, an air separator is useful and should be used. It will be useful for dealing with oil and water. But I will definitely do without a pressure regulator at the gun.

Last edited:
In regards to compressor, the problem you will have is that when the compressor can’t keep up with the spray gun, the pressure drops at the gun which will affect your atomisation and fan pattern.
My intention is to minimise both the paint and air feed, at the expense of spending more time laying down paint. The insufficient air condition may never arise. It all depends on what is the minimum air needed to atomise the paint. If the physical minimum is, say, 5 CFM, then the small compressor will never work. But it seems obvious that a deliberately thinned down paint would need less air to atomise, same way that water would atomise easier than paint.

Last edited:
Everything ordered. Everything apart from the compressor and paint will be coming from china. They have a big sale there at the moment and doing an 8 day delivery. £200 spent on the project so far excluding paint. The paint will cost another £200, for sample and 2.5L on top. The total is not as expensive as initially thought but still expensive.

I didn't get this kit. Carmanmemoranda will struggle with this one. If the mini compressor is no use for painting, why would they sell a kit for it? I expect no miracles, but limping along with the compressor should be possible.

painting-kit.png

My intention is to minimise both the paint and air feed, at the expense of spending more time laying down paint. The insufficient air condition may never arise. It all depends on what is the minimum air needed to atomise the paint. If the physical minimum is, say, 5 CFM, then the small compressor will never work. But it seems obvious that a deliberately thinned down paint would need less air to atomise, same way that water would atomise easier than paint.
reducing viscosity of paint doesnt reduce the amount of air to atomise on its own -that is a function of air cap / tip size and viscosity.

Car paint will need significant thinning in order to get the paint to atomise correctly for a smooth finish.

the amount of thinners needed its dependent on the tip size and the ambient temperature.

If you try spraying in a cold environment, with cold paint and cold panels and you thin the paint, you will get runs.

Ive no idea whether you are just a troll trying to wind people up or actually doing this stuff

given that youve never posted any pictures, i think you might just be trolling, apologies if thats not the case

Sponsored Links
Back