Direct unvented hot water cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My brother would like a shower in his 1 bed 1 bath flat. At the moment, he has a tank and a cylinder with an emersion heater to heat the hot water. He doesn't have central heating or a supply of gas.

So for the sake of gaining a shower, I believe the best option to be having a direct unvented hot water cylinder installed, am I correct?

If so, I was wondering if someone could suggest the best size and brand for this. I have looked at the manufacturers' charts and it seems to be that a 125L cylinder will meet my brothers requirements. But he lives with his girlfriend so would this be enough for two showers one after the other?

I assume megaflo to be the best brand, but I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with the other less expensive ones.

Sponsored Links
Megaflo do a double-immersion 125l which heats up from completely cold in a little over an hour and will reheat quickly too (although 125L is loads just for two showers).

However I must question your motives for installing this over your present system. What are you aiming to achieve? Do you want higher pressure showers? Is your present volume of available hot water inadequate?

If you just want better showers I would suggest that a much cheaper option would be to get yourself a decent electric one, or buy a pump to fit to your existing shower supply

Sponsored Links
Megaflo do a double-immersion 125l which heats up from completely cold in a little over an hour and will reheat quickly too (although 125L is loads just for two showers).

However I must question your motives for installing this over your present system. What are you aiming to achieve? Do you want higher pressure showers? Is your present volume of available hot water inadequate?

If you just want better showers I would suggest that a much cheaper option would be to get yourself a decent electric one, or buy a pump to fit to your existing shower supply

Yes it is the pressure, with the header tank being lower than cieling height in my brothers flat. But my brother does complain that the volume of water doesn't quite meet his and his girlfriends needs (although I'm not sure what size his cylinder is at current)

I've heard good things about unvented cylinders and so assumed that would be better in the long run, rather than replace the cylinder with a larger one and adding a pump...?

Yes it is the pressure, with the header tank being lower than cieling height in my brothers flat. But my brother does complain that the volume of water doesn't quite meet his and his girlfriends needs (although I'm not sure what size his cylinder is at current)

I've heard good things about unvented cylinders and so assumed that would be better in the long run, rather than replace the cylinder with a larger one and adding a pump...?

Oh and no there isn't an existing shower, so there isn't a seperate shower supply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back