Dirty cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if i can put this question here but here goes. I have recently acquired a gas cooker which is in perfect working order. The only problem is the top of the cooker has some real bad burnt on grease (looks like theyv'e been there for quite a while). Could anyone suggest a way to get rid please? I have tried all the usual household cleaners and vinegar, bicarb, baking soda etc but to no avail.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but tried that no luck!! Someone did tell me to try using concentrated sugar soap but bit worried to try that because the cooker is brown.

Kath - if the gunge has formed a layer then scrape it off using one of these:

a razor blade scraper (google for an online supplier or get one from a decent decorators merchant ... I don't know if the sheds do 'em).

The aim is to get the razor's cutting edge between the gunge and the enamel, try to keep the blade flat along it's length (so the corners don't scratch the enamel) but slightly angled up. The mank should lift off a treat. Your next problem might be that the enamel could be discoloured below the gunge - nothing you can do about that. Anyway, for about £3 for the scraper it's worth a go. By the way, I have a pro oven cleaning guy who comes in just before Xmas each year to clean my oven and he uses one of these scrapers on enamel.

Also, you have a great tool for general scraping jobs around the home, including paint off glass (hence the decorators merchant ref).

Sponsored Links
try using a hand held steamer they do work wonders,also use iirc oxyclean granules.

Thanks for all your replies. I am going down to B & Q later so will look for one of those tools as you say it's always handy to have something like that around the house. Can always help my husband to shave with it (joke of course). Thanks everyone

A razor blade is likely to ruin the top removing paint. Commercial oven cleaner from commercial cleaning supplies is a very quick and easy option, though you may have to buy a 5 litres of it.

A razor blade is likely to ruin the top removing paint. Commercial oven cleaner from commercial cleaning supplies is a very quick and easy option, though you may have to buy a 5 litres of it.

Not if used carefully!

Wotan

Cooker tops are not painted, they are covered with vitreous enamel which has been 'fired' on in a kiln. The result is an extremely hard surface finish which can be scraped with a razor blade - as per earlier post.

As I posted earlier these jobbies are brilliant for loads of scraping jobs but I reckon to get the best out of them don't use a blunt blade. It's tempting to run a dull edge over an oil stone, a bit like extending the life of a Stanley blade in the 'old' days, but just swap for a new one.

you can get 5 packs in most decent deco merchants but we get our blades in packs of 100. We get ours mail order from an autobody repair tool & equipment company in Warwickshire: www.power-tech.co.uk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back