LPG Cooker fitting question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently purchased a Belling range cooker with an LPG hob & electric oven, we already had all the LPG pipe work in the house from a previous cooker that was installed here, however when we came to fit it we discovered that the fitting to connect the hose to was completely different from what was already installed (in fairness the previous cooker was totally ancient), we purchased the correct fitting (alledgedly) from B&Q but on getting it home & connecting it we discovered that when the bayonett on the hose was plugged into this it was quite loose, i cant see that this is normal, i would have expected quite a tight fit on any gas fittings. Is this normal, i dont particually fancy blowing my house or the kids up, but i dont want to call someone out & look a total numpty if its perfectly normal, obviously if its not then i will get someone out to look at it. Any helpfull advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
should of been fitted by a rgi in the first place so you won't look a numpty getting an rgi in to check it will you.

Fair point, but having had one in here already i just assumed it would be a straight forward job. Not really an answer to my question though.

firstly, have you got an lpg hose? secondly, have you got the coversion kit for the cooker? thirdly, get an rgi, this is not diy.

Sponsored Links
Cooker has LPG hose already attached (with red lable around it) LPG gas is already fitted into the house (we dont live in a mains area) the only problem we had was the gas pipe coming into the house was to small & need a bigger fitting on the end. As far as im aware as long as you are competent (which my partner is) you dont need to have a pro out, my question was is it normal for the connection from hose to pipe to be loose, which i assume it is not (will be having words with B&Q if it is not, as they are selling parts which dont do the job). Im quite prepared to have a pro out IF the joint is incorrect, which is all i have asked, im perfectly happy with the rest of the installation (as it has run perfectly for several years).

Fair point, but having had one in here already i just assumed it would be a straight forward job. Not really an answer to my question though.
Its a proper answer, LPG is far far more dangerous than nat gas, you shouldnt be touching it yourself, how do you know if its leaking or not ? you have no idea how to test the system.

Installation of Cookers USED to be notifiable when I read posts like this I wish they still were!!! - Partner competent??? ARE YOU SURE????! :eek:

Ive just called my relatives in Cardiganshire to evacuate immediately. What a scary post by the OP - especially with LPG.

Mr. W.

You clearly don't know what you're doing here, get an RGI in before you blow yourselves up

Its a proper answer, LPG is far far more dangerous than nat gas, you shouldnt be touching it yourself, how do you know if its leaking or not ? you have no idea how to test the system.

wsts, im not doubting you at all, but just want an explanation, how/why is LPG more dangerous than NG, i have only ever done NG, cheers

NG is lighter than air so it disperses easier, LPG is heavier so it stays at floor level or drops into cellars or under suspended floors etc and stays there to clear an LPG leak you brush it out ,sounds silly but it gets air moving and takes the gas with it

LPG is also a 'seeking' gas in that it will find the minutest place to leak from. It can leak from places that NG will not!

As already said it is heavier than air and will build up from the floor, even find its way under the floor if there are holes etc about!

wsts, im not doubting you at all, but just want an explanation, how/why is LPG more dangerous than NG, i have only ever done NG, cheers[/quote]

KG, it's a bit worrying that you don't know that.

Its a shame its got to the stage where you cant ask a question without someone sneering at you .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back