Dirty gutters and downpipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could advise the best way of cleaning plastic rainwater goods please?

I have posted a couple of pictures that illustrate the problem, I have tried soap and water and also Upvc Cleaner but nothing seems to shift it.

I expect it needs something abrasive but I don't want to damage the surface if I can avoid it. (also don't really want to resort to painting it either).

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
I wonder if they're limescale deposits or similar? They're in the right place to be something that escaped from the joint.

Rainwater is soft, but it might be picked up from concrete roof tiles.

If they are, you could scrape a bit off and drop it in a small glass of vinegar.

or maybe some kind of airbourne pollution picked up by the rain or washed off the roof. perhaps white spirit would lift it.

No good reason it should be glue.

I replaced my white gutters and downpipes with black. I couldn't get the old ones clean. I admit that I live in a bungalow so it wasn't particularly difficult.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried washing wish sugar soap, I always clean guttering with sugar soap and the wash again with clean water before redecorating outsides.

Thanks for all the replies.

I used Upvc cleaner from Screwfix but the one from Toolstation looks like it might be more up to the job. Sugar soap is a good call, I think it needs some thing abrasive to shift the stains. I have some Sugar Soap so I will give that a try first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back