Dirty Lounge??? please help......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi their, I am becoming increasing frustrated with my flat in London. It's around 1900 & I've recently been noticing that the ceiling & top of the walls are becoming dirty!! I've tried washing the ceiling with soap & it just swirled around & made the problem worse. I'm not sure if the dirt is coming from the loft (which has a lot of rubble), the windows (frames are frequently grubby) or maybe something to do with the seared fire place (although no dirt around it). I really dont know what to do - any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Does anyone in the flat smoke or use candles?

What method of heating?

How close is it to steamy rooms like kitchen and bathroom?

neither my partner or i smoke & we are 2 rooms away from te bathroom & kitchen. We have 2 electric mounted heaters & a movable oil filled electric heater. We dont use these a great deal although recently we've had them on

It's probably just pollutants and dust in the air. They are carried around in convection currents from heaters and stick to cooler surfaces. Uninsulated ceilings and external walls in particular. The temperature difference is greater at the top because the warmest air rises.

The particles are so fine that they are difficult to clean off. I've heard microfibre cloths used dry will do it, otherwise was down with sugar soap to get off as much as you can, and redecorate using a washable paint.

Smoke particles are particularly difficult to clean off.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your help. I've taken a good look around the double glazing & some areas of the plastic rims are alot dirtier than others. I cleaned around the windows fairly recently- would you think that it's worth replacing the foam ceilant to reduce the dirt coming in?

Could be. You get black particles from busy roads (tyres and diesel) also from some industrial sites or any kind of fire or chimney. Gas fires do not smoke unless they are faulty.

We have a multi-fuel stove and you should see what collects in corners like on top of the books on the bookshelves. This is an enclosed stove, mind, not an open fire.

That`s why they call it "The Smoke" where you live :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back