Is this mould or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully this is the right forum...

I was just wondering if what you can see in this photo is damp and what I should do about it?

I've never noticed it before as the room is quite dark as curtains are always drawn, it is far more pronounced in the pictures than looking at the wall itself !! :oops: I guess it must have been around a while as it has covered large sections of the walls in the room.

The wall in the picture is the corner at the front wall to the house. There has been some black specs of mould on the windows previously and along all the front wall to about 60cm (due I think to condensation and the fact the fitting was a DIY job) and also in the low wall corners which I have cleaned up with bleach/water mixture in the past. However, that was all very low (window frame itself excluded) and what can be seen in the picture starts from about 150cm from the floor. It does not feel like there is any damp in the areas with the

The property is a c.1900 terraced flat. The room itself is at the front of the house. We are in the process of getting new glazing.

The original grey plaster mixed with hairs is still under the current finishing plaster and the current paint job was completed 6 years ago.

The flat does have a damp course, unfortunately by cowboys some time ago which made little overall difference to the moisture levels but trashed my original skirting boards.

Sponsored Links
That is classic condensation mould spotting. Nothing to do with a damp course

You need to be careful, as if you get new dg windows fitted, then ventilation may well be reduced and any existing condensation will get worse.

Any new frames should incorporate trickle ventilators, and read up on condensation prevention

Thanks. I started a while ago taking more care of condensation after reading up on it.

What would be the best way to treat it?

Sponsored Links
I think the best way would be to keep the room well ventilated. It may leave stains where the moisture has been so you may need to re-paint or wall paper if the stains are too noticable when it has dried out. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have sucsessfully dealt with worst cases of mould and damp from condensation, kill as much with strong solution of bleech, (not neat) use Domestos, as it is really thick and strong, mix it with water about 1:4 and apply to walls, leave to dry, then coat a layer of oil based gloss type paint, allow it to dry well,then recoat with normal emulsion paints. this has definitely worked for me and no return of any mould.

but ventillaition is the key thing here, and also make sure your roof gutters aren't overflowing from the edges and should drain down the pipe instead of pouring from joints and edges of the roof gutter, many people don't realise this can also cause similar problems.

Oil based Undercoat ;) gloss is not good , being shiny . Otherwise you`re (mould) spot on , Mike :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back