Dirty Water Retention?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a wet room . Can someone offer an explanation to this? When the shower is operated you can see the warer coming out of the pipe and into the drain outside so.how and why is this section retaining water? I would expect to see it empty? Thanks

Attachments

• 20191123_085510.jpg
    20191123_085510.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 233
Sponsored Links
If it didn’t retain water your shower room would smell like a sewer.

Sponsored Links
You could try running clean water through it with shower or fill a bucket, or just empty it out and replace with clean water, should be ok after that. Traps in my experience need to be flushed every now and then to keep them from smelling.

Give it a clean out, tip a bucket of water down it, to flush through and a squirt of bleach may assist with making it smell a bit sweeter. Does look rather yucky, like the water is stagnating in there.

The water in that cup should be replaced every time the shower is used. That cup that creates the water seal (that the guys have already mentioned) and acts as the debris trap too. The chrome/white cover on the top of the waste should have a tube that seals to the edge of the waste and dips into that cup. The shower waste water should then enter down the outside edge of the cover, run into that that cup, then over the edge of it and down into the waste pipe.

So unless the shower waste water is always that colour when the shower is being used then that should be relatively clean albeit debris may sit in the bottom of it.

Can you give us a pic of all the bits of the trap, on their side, that you have taken out of the trap before taking that pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back