Disability shower trays - outlet flow question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently re-fitting my parents bathroom for assisted showering. This is onto an unbreachable concrete floor so I need to run a pipe out the side of the (raised) shower tray and box it in. There are two variants of tray I'm looking to buy, where these trays have a built in anti-slip surface and surface drainage characteristics way better than a normal tray.

AKW Sulby - this has 8 outlet points (i.e. you can run pipes right under the full length of the tray and out in both directions at each corner) so allows the pipework to exit the side of the tray in the way I need it to and with the waste where I want it to be which is out the way under a folding shower seat as shown in my attached diag. But there is a snag- this tray has a built in waste with a 7lt/min restriction.

AKW Sulby 2 - this has a 14lt/min separate waste so no problem there (shower input flow will be around 11lt/min). However, it appears from the detailed spec the pipes can only exit from the two corners nearest the waste on this tray, which in my case means the waste has to be at the other end where you get into the shower as shown in my diag. The waste cap is flush so isn't actually a trip hazard. The care screens open as shown so it would be possible to avoid stepping onto it but I just don't really like the idea if I can avoid it by using the Sulby tray.

The shower I have is a Triton Omnicare Design 9.5kW which is an electic one for care environments. Depending on ambient water temp and water rise, this *ought* to have an output flow well within the 7lt/min limitation of the waste of the Sulby tray - probably averaging about 5lt/min or less. However, having spoken to Triton and been sent the attached graph, it's possible that it could exceed 7lt/min if you have a cool shower in hot summer months such that the temp rise in the shower is less than 20 degrees.

The shower will be less than 20ft of pipe run from the point the mains comes into the property, so I'm kinda thinking the mains water temp won't noticeably increase within the property. Just checked our own cold water temp as we live close by and its about 10 degrees C right now, but in a very hot summer, I guess 20 degrees+ wouldn't be unheard of in the UK. My parents are both in their 80s and not likely to be taking COLD showers even in summer, but the implications of getting this decision wrong are fairly significant.

I need a tray precisely 1200x700 so haven't been able to find an alternative to the Sulby trays from anywhere else yet.

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• flowchart.png
    flowchart.png
    349.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Tray.jpg
    Tray.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I did eventually find an answer to this so posting it up in case anyone else hits this issue. It transpires from a discussion with one of AKW's techies, that contrary to the product details, there isn't actually any reason why the Sulby 2 tray can't have a waste running the full length underneath (I assumed there was something in the way it was constructed preventing this). So I decided to go with that tray to be on the safe side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back