disable kirkpatrick night latch dead lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.

I fitted a black Kirkpatrick Yale type nightlatch and black rim cylinder on my mum's front door yesterday.

this morning she left early, put the key in the door to enable her to close it quitely. Getting the key out was difficult. When she returned 10 minutes later she was unable to put the key in the rim cylinder. She noticed that the key part of the rim was sitting at 45 degrees ran her than zero.

with some coaxing she was able to turn it to 0 degrees but still unable to push the key all the way in.

Fortunately I happened to be working at her place. We woke up my stepfather but he could not open the door from inside as the door was now dead locked.

he passed the back door/ alleyway keys to us.

I eventually managed to turn the rim to 45 degrees by partially inserting the key (there is no rim on the inside of the lock).

I have temporarily refitted the old Yale cylinder.

Is it possible to disable the dead lock function? And is it possible to do that and retain the snib function?

cheers

Sponsored Links
sorry about typos.

the edit post function doesn't work on windows phone

Sponsored Links
try turning the door lock 180 degrees not the cylinder

Thanks Big-All

That worked, the only down side is that you need to turn (rotate) the key further than previously when opening, but that is only a minor inconvenience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back