Disappointing Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a total replaster last year our house was painted with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt in Pebble Shore. A year on we are so disappointed; the walls mark so easily and won't wipe clean. It's so bad that we have to repaint the whole lot but have to do it ourselves this time. Advice please on what to use that is hard wearing and washable?

Sponsored Links
I'm in the same predicament in our front room. Bought 5L of a Dulux trade matt and I have noticed that it marks very easily from the slightest scuff. Cleaning it with a soft cloth and water just rubs the paint off.

For a paint which cost something like £50 a tin from a supposedly good name, I'm really disappointed. Only chose it based on personal recommendation.

Sponsored Links
I have always considered "trade" paints as the cheap stuff that builders and renovators slap on the walls to make the place look good when prospective buyers are viewing the place.

Interesting -- I'd describe contractors emulsion the same way (magnolia everywhere). The Dulux Trade stuff is marketed as having a high quality finish and I was told is a better alternative to Valspar, Crown, etc.

Matt paint.

Matt surfaces hold dirt and are difficult to clean. Surely everybody knows that?

Why do you think gloss surfaces are so popular?

It does yes just look at the surface under a microscope, but it's the durability of the paint which is the gripe.

Some paints hold up much better when cleaned. In my experience (possibly the OP too) the Dulux Trade paint comes away when cleaned evern lightly with water.

Trade paint. It's exactly what it says it is, paint made for the trade so it's cheap and nasty. Having said that "expensive" paints sold to the DIY,s isn't much better. Most paints these days are pretty much junk.

I wouldn't say all trade paint is "cheap and nasty", nor would I say my front room has a "cheap and nasty" finish. What I will say is the trade matt I was recommended to use just doesn't hold up well to cleaning - every other aspect I am very happy with.

I don't like eggshell on walls, but the Dulux Trade ( :eek: ) Diamond Eggshell is very durable.

What we can probably conclude is that some are better than others! The washable Dulux paint securespark already mentioned is good as is the one made for kitchen and bathrooms.

Last edited:
I have always considered "trade" paints as the cheap stuff that builders and renovators slap on the walls to make the place look good when prospective buyers are viewing the place.

Sorry but that is just wrong.

Trade paints are typically more expensive per litre but as a professional decorator, I would rather pay a more for a paint that requires fewer coats than a DIY grade paint and which is as durable or more so than the DIY paint.

I suspect that you are confusing trade paints with contract grade paints. In the case of emulsion, the latter tend to have lower acrylic levels, allowing them to be applied over new plaster sooner and obliterate the plaster colour better then trade or retail paints but are impossible to keep clean (because of the lower acrylic/vinyl content).

Matt paint.

Matt surfaces hold dirt and are difficult to clean. Surely everybody knows that?

Why do you think gloss surfaces are so popular?

Other than exterior work. I have only had two clients ask me to use gloss indoors over the last 20 years. 98% of the (interior) woodwork I paint is oil based eggshell, the bulk of the remainder is oil based satinwood.

I've found eggshell holds handmarks, especially on doors.

Luckily people don't read newspapers much these days, but the ink leaves black marks.

There are paints like this:
https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/products/easycare-washable-tough-matt

I would be tempted to go with something like an eggshell, but it does have a slight sheen.

There is a solution here using matt paint and additional protective clearcoats:
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/f...tt-emulsion-that-actually-is-matt-t93947.html

I have previously used dead flat matt waterbased varnish over emulsion. There are a few caveats though.

To begin with, you need to thoroughly vacuum the walls first. Any clothing fibres that have landed on the emulsion will be visible in the clear finish.

Some emulsions will become darker once you apply the varnish.

You will need at least two coats of the varnish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back