Disappointing Paint

That's largely why I went for the more expensive (£50 for 5L) Dulux Trade. There were cheaper alternatives but it was very nice to work with and still looks great several years later. Just have to be very careful and not scuff the walls!

I said further above that contractor emulsion is the stuff I'd desribe as "cheap stuff". It's slapped on in new homes, offices etc. onto fresh plasterboard walls. It's great for painting onto a wall before the final top coat though.

Bit of a hi-jack here, but as a professional decorator what would you recommend I paint my DIY wardrobes in? They are clad in ply and have softwood doors. I went over it with a primer, then a top coat of Dulux Pure Brilliant White Matt as it's all I had. It's okay but it does mark easily. Would a Satinwood paint be more durable? I have lots of Leyland paint left over after fixing new architrave, dado rail, etc.

Sponsored Links
I've found eggshell holds handmarks, especially on doors.

Luckily people don't read newspapers much these days, but the ink leaves black marks.

I am guessing that you are talking about waterbased eggshell. It also suffers from black marks if you lightly rub any ferrous objects over it. Additionally the oils in your skin break the paint down over time, making it become soft.

Years ago, I painted my kitchen walls with oil based eggshell. I loved the finish. It was sooo silky smooth. You can scrub oil based eggshell with webrax pads and use isopropyl alcohol to clean it if required.

The only downside was that it did yellow slightly over time. Oh, and it stank until it dried, took longer to apply and cost more than the waterbased stuff.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say all trade paint is "cheap and nasty", nor would I say my front room has a "cheap and nasty" finish. What I will say is the trade matt I was recommended to use just doesn't hold up well to cleaning - every other aspect I am very happy with.

I don't like eggshell on walls, but the Dulux Trade ( :eek: ) Diamond Eggshell is very durable.

What we can probably conclude is that some are better than others! The washable Dulux paint securespark already mentioned is good as is the one made for kitchen and bathrooms.

My main gripe with the Diamond Matt emulsion is that if you keep cleaning it with green scouring pads, the surface becomes more shiny. The same applies to all of the washable matt paints that I have come across.

The finish is also less matt than standard matt paints. Dead flat oil based paints are very durable but smelly, prone to yellowing and much more expensive.

Sponsored Links
My main gripe with the Diamond Matt emulsion is that if you keep cleaning it with green scouring pads, the surface becomes more shiny. The same applies to all of the washable matt paints that I have come across.

The finish is also less matt than standard matt paints. Dead flat oil based paints are very durable but smelly, prone to yellowing and much more expensive.

I did not know that but I can imagine the effect from a scouring pad. If we do need to wash a section of wall (perhaps from a bit of splattered food in the kitchen) we'll use a wet cotton cloth lightly on the surface. The only eggshell I have is on the coving.

As for oil-based, I used that on the stairs (we have a carpet runner). Before doing so I cleaned the stairs with sugar soap, sanded and painted over the old paint which (as you say) had yellowed over the years! Not a bad price to pay given the wear that area faces.

Luckily people don't read newspapers much these days, but the ink leaves black marks.
Not sure that still holds true, as didn't the printing trade stop using oil-based inks years ago?

Not sure that still holds true, as didn't the printing trade stop using oil-based inks years ago?

I read the Metro on the bus/tube in the morning. I have black marks on my trousers where my keys or loose change create high spots on my lap (which is where the paper rests as I read it).

I have no idea what inks they use, but as I look down on my lap, the only black marks are the result of the freebie newspaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back