Disaster at DIY

Don't get disheartened, we all started somewhere, and although it might not seem it sometimes, this is the purpose of this forum, please just try not to be like a couple of members, who need advice on getting dressed in the morning.

It's horrible not knowing something. I really struggle but I'm trying to persevere.

It's up, although I reckon incorrectly so its probably gonna come down and I'll get it looked at it to be safe.

On the one that went wrong I flew to wickes got some plugs and some 3 inch screws, drilled a bit further and pushed a red rawl plug in with the screw. Screwed it in. I think I needed a bigger rawl plug to be honest.

The second hole was much easier and hopefully accurate but who knows.

We shall see after I get someone to check it over, there is a bit of movement on the 3 inch screw but I'm guessing because it's a long screw and the rawl plug is only a third of the screw or something (if that makes sense)...

Attachments

• IMG-20191205-WA0036.jpeg
    IMG-20191205-WA0036.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 20191205_232352.jpg
    20191205_232352.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
bit of movement on the 3 inch screw but I'm guessing because it's a long screw and the rawl plug is only a third of the screw or something (if that makes sense)

Yes, for dot & dab walls I usually push two red plugs into the same hole, the deeper one is doing the real holding power, the front one is just to keep the screw aligned in the centre of the 'front' hole. It will sag to the bottom otherwise. (Two red plugs is 2½ inches BTW)

Unfortunately you won't be able to use that technique now as the front part of the hole is oversized from the wrong type of plug earlier.

As long as the "bit of movement" is just a bit of wiggle up/down/left/right and not toward you, out of the hole, it will be fine for light loads like a small/medium mirror.

Last edited:
At Post #12, I would have suggested that you remove the plug, mix a quantity of epoxy resin, cote the plastic plug with this, reinsert it and wait for twice the advertised setting time of the resin before hanging the mirror.
(e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/JB-WELD-MAC8265-S-TEX-8265-S-Weld/dp/B0006O1ICE?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_8)

I would still advise this BUT you now also need to fill the rather large hole in the plaster over the brick?
(Epoxy Putty comes to mind - but that could be "overkill".)

Sponsored Links
At Post #12, I would have suggested that you remove the plug, mix a quantity of epoxy resin, cote the plastic plug with this, reinsert it and wait for twice the advertised setting time of the resin before hanging the mirror.
(e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/JB-WELD-MAC8265-S-TEX-8265-S-Weld/dp/B0006O1ICE?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_8)

I would still advise this BUT you now also need to fill the rather large hole in the plaster over the brick?
(Epoxy Putty comes to mind - but that could be "overkill".)
Or move the mirror up by a few cm and redo the holes there. Then slap some filler in the old ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back