Disaster Plaster... (and lining paper too)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello --- I'm wondereing if anyone out there can help. I've hired a builder to redecorate my front room, and although he seems really nice, and appears to know what he's talking about, every thing he's worked on so far seems dodgy.

First - he removed the chipboard from my walls and put up lining paper. The only problem is he didn't sand down the plaster, so the paper is all lumpy. When I asked about this he said not to worry: he'd sand THROUGH the paper to create a smooth finish (!!). Is this possible?

Second - the plaster on one wall cracked and bulged a little (e.g. when he took out the old fireplace) so he said that one would need replastering. I let him go ahead... but the result is unbelievably messy. He has plastered right ONTO the dado rail, so it isn't on top of the plaster, but is somehow integrated - but not even smoothly. He's also plastered ONTO the lining paper on the adjacent walls, and ONTO the light sockets. Finally, he's not covered the whole wall, so there are gaps and holes. There is also a sort of mesh sticking through in places. Surely this can't be right?

Finally - he was originally meant to sand and refinish the floor. We talked about the importance of using a stain rather than a tinted varnish etc, and that was all agreed --- but now he's talking again about using the tinted varnish. I have this in other parts of the house and know that it flakes off leaving nasty white patches. Can anyone recommend a good stain which is avaliable in the UK?

I'm new to the whole DIY thing (which is why I hired help...) so any suggestions would be really useful.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to get rid of him, he's no builder he's a cowboy, and don't pay him for the work that he has done.

Dec

He's a chancer. Bet he's cheap and foreign.

Sponsored Links
Not sure why you assume he's foreign.

Anyway, bottom line is, as with any paid trade, if you are not happy, tell him to put it right or you won't pay. Either he'll walk off the job or will put it right (or thump you - let's hope its not that one).

I think really you knew the answer to this one! Good luck to you and let us know how it panned out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back