Discharge lighting - contactor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old sun flood style discharge light that I'd like to control with a photo cell and mechanical timer, however the time states it requires a contactor when used with discharge lighting - this is not something I'm familiar with, could anyone advise what I require and how to connect this correctly please?

The timer I'm planning on using ia a Grasslin 24hour mechanical timer.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The timer switches the supply to the coil of the contactor, the contactor normally-open (N/O) terminals switch the supply to the load.

A contactor is a heavy duty relay, although I'd not be surprised to find that there is technically another difference which we can start to argue about.

When looking at the rating of contactors it'll say something like:

20 (3) A

The first number is how much resistive load it can switch. The second number in brackets is how much inductive load it can switch.

SON floodlights and the like are inductive loads.

Sponsored Links
A contactor is a heavy duty relay, although I'd not be surprised to find that there is technically another difference which we can start to argue about.

My understanding (which may well be flawed) is that to qualify as a contactor, rather than simply a mains rated relay, the device must have a >3mm contact gap when open, as is usually required for isolation purposes.
I suspect there may also be some requirement for it to be constructed in such a way that the contacts cannot weld shut provided that it's used within it's ratings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back