Disconnect back boiler but leave fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to look at a job soon and the customer would like a new combi boiler fitted. she currently has a fire and back boiler, she would like the back boiler disconnected and the fire left as its not that old. Can anyone think of any complications with this. do i need to remove the back boiler completely or is disconnecting it sufficent to allow the fire to still be operational?
(i couldnt tell you the make/model of the fire or boiler as i havent seen it yet)

Sponsored Links
you CANNOT remove the back boiler and use the fire, the combined flue spigot assembly must be retained, after that you really need to check with the manufacturer to see what they say, many years ago Baxi said yes, then said no, or vice versa!! if allowed you will need to permanently blank off the gas inlet to the boiler gas valve and also disconnect the electrics to the boiler (remember to leave supply to fire if it has lights etc) it needs to be labelled as de-commisssioned, and at fire service the flue assembly needs to be carefully checked to ensure it hasnt deteriorated

seen loads left in.. make sure the gas to the the boiler is capped, the electrics isolated and the heat exchanger either drilled or the connections removed

When disconnecting the pipes make sure the builders opening is properly sealed including the annular space (if it ever was in the first place)

As said the gas needs to be properly capped but you can't remove the burner assembly cos it interferes with the air flow apparently :rolleyes:

And you should really label the BBU as decommisioned

Sponsored Links
thanks for the info guys.
gas_man_gaz i'm not sure what you mean by drilling the heat exchanger :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back