Disconnecting a radiator from micro-bore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a comb boiler setup which has small 10mm plastic pipes that go to the radiators. If I understand correctly, this setup is known as micro-bore. I have a radiator that I turned off at the TRV a while back and had furniture covering the radiator. Initially I did test that the radiator wasnt turning on. But after a few years it now seems that somehow the TRV has started to fail ad the radiator is heating up which isn't good because the radiator is covered.

Seeing as I do not use this radiator but in the future if I change room layout I do not want to completely remove it but instead what I was thinking to do is disconnect the pipes going into it and plug it with a push fit stop end on both pipes.

I can cut a small piece of 10mm pipe on both ends of the radiator too and plug the radiator with a stop end too.

I have a few questions which I would appreciate if someone can help

1. The pipe that connects to the TRV is not the one that gets hot first, the other side with a fixed valve gets hot first. So I am assuming the TRV pipe is the return?
  2. When I disconnect the pipes from both ends, are the pipes supposed to be coupled together so that the water can flow from the flow to the return? Or do I just cap both pipes off? I have attached a picture of underneath the boiler.
  3. Having a look at the boiler picture, can someone tell me if the drain valve that I have drawn with a red arrow is the place for me to drain the radiator system? This pipe is higher than the lowest point of a radiator, so if it is the drain plug that will mean the lower radiator pipes will still need to be drained?
  4. Finally, I have attached another picture of the pipe that connects to the radiator valve, it looks like a push fit, do I just simply press the ring in and pull on the pipe?

20170917_191001.jpg IMG-20170526-WA0013.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could just isolate the radiator valve on the opposite end and the radiator will not get hot.

To answer questions, 1. Trv is on return pipe 2. You do not need to join pipes 3. You will have to drain from the lowest point 4. Pull collar back towards fitting and pull of pipe.

Regards

Not a 100% sure but if you turn the lock shield off (turning it clock wise) till it's closed and fit a decorators cap to tvr end that might solve your problem regards david

Thanks Crofton Gas, if I remove the cover on the opposite side valve and isolate the radiator valve on that end and the radiator, will that effect the balancing on any of my other radiators? So technically it just just stop water from coming into this radiator and going out through the other return end. Does this not stop the water from returning back to the system?

Sponsored Links
as cgas said ,just close the lockshield and save yourself a load of work !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back