Disconnecting a room thermostat - ???? Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm currently renovating my home and would like to remove a really old ugly room thermostat.

Could I simply disconnect it from the power, insulate it and then plaster over it? I am replacing the radiators (to then put on thermostatic valves) and valves in the home too, so should this override the thermostat, or do I have to disconnect it from the boiler?

If so, what should I do?? What will the connection look like? And is it simple to do?

Any advice would be great, would like to be able to do it between now and next sunday, as this will be the last day the plasterer will be working in the house.

Cheers,
Katie

Sponsored Links
why dont you just buy a new roomstat?

current good practice is to have trv's on the rads and a roomstat.

it's also a regulation you have a room stat.

how you going to control the boiler keep firing up without a stat.
thats the idea house reaches temp stat shuts boiler down.
:rolleyes:

Hi

Thanks for replying so quickly.

The room stat is in the hall and I know that isn't best as it more likely to get cold in the hall, with the front door.

Funny...about the regulations...I have seen people get new systems installed recently only with trvs??

Should the old wiring be ok to connect to a new unit?

Katie

Sponsored Links
Hi

I thought the whole point of having seperate valves on the radiators meant you could control the boiler and control diffrent temps in different rooms?

yes/no?

Kt

Hi

I thought the whole point of having seperate valves on the radiators meant you could control the boiler and control diffrent temps in different rooms?

yes/no?

Kt

yes but the idea is mainly to control the temps in the rooms you use and the roomstat will control the house temp in general.

you could set it higher in the hall and turn the trvs down if its too hot in certain rooms. its all trial and error but it will save you money.

get an "intelligent" stat and it could provide even more comfort and save even more.

Without a room stat, when all the rooms are up to temperature and the trv's are shut, the boiler still sits there cylcling on an off doing not much, except costing you money.
Fitting a system without a room stat breaks the Building Regulations part L.

You must disconnect the wiring to the roomstat at the boiler and mark both ends as redundant, then you can seal them up if you want.
It is compulsory to have a roomstat, as you will install a new one, you might as well do it in the most efficient place. Best place is the room where you spend most time provided it has no independent heat sources. This would normally be the lounge or office if you work from home. N.b. it is called a ROOMstat, not a hall-stat or landing-stat for a reason. It may even be a requirement in CheSS to have the roomstat in the living room, I can never remember.
Trvs do not override the boiler, they both have their individual use.
Do not tamper with the wiring for the roomstat unless you know what you are doing; it is usually 230 volt but has an added risk. You can test that the wire is safe, only to find halfway through the job that the temperature change or the timer has made it live. Very unpleasant. Another potential risk is the habit of many cowboys to use the cpc as a live wire because they did not have 3core at hand.

As others have said, you must have a separate thermostat. Where it should be located is a matter for debate and will depend on many factors.

If you are happy with you existing time control, the Honeywell DT200 is a good replacement thermostat which can be located were the old one was and use the same wires. But the connections may need changing at the other end. This is because the DT200 does not need a neutral connection; it just switches the power.

Info on the DT200 is at:

http://europe.hbc.honeywell.com/products/pdf/en0r8528uk07r0704.pdf

On the other hand, if you want to put in a more intelligent controller, then the Honeywell CM901 or 907 is very good. This will automatically adjust the morning turn on time in accordance with the temperature.
See:
http://europe.hbc.honeywell.com/products/pdf/en0h8547uk07r0906.pdf

There are also wireless versions, which are much more expensive!

If you have a combi boiler, this is all you need. But if you have a separate HW cylinder then you will need to retain you old time switch for the hot water side.

Wiring diagrams are on the Honeywell UK site, but it's down so I can't give you the URL

Get an experienced engineer to install a wireless room stat. 1/2 hour job wireless stat about £50 ,still work out cheaper that electrocuting the plasterer.
never leave a live wire terminating in brick or plaster as when it becomes damp the whole wall becomes live.

Get an experienced engineer to install a wireless room stat. 1/2 hour job wireless stat about £50 ,still work out cheaper that electrocuting the plasterer.

Are they that hard to kill? I know energy bills have gone up, but still.

By the way everyone there are certain boilers out there that don`t need room stats and can be fitted with trv`s on every rad and it meets part L.

Although this one probably is not one of them

By the way everyone there are certain boilers out there that don`t need room stats and can be fitted with trv`s on every rad and it meets part L.

Which ones? Where can you get them? Quality level on scale of 1 to 10?

Biggest boiler manufacturer in the uk.. Think why a roomstat would not be needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back